Putting up Staple Foods

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Putting up Staple Foods

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

What foods do you make big batches of to store in your home to use as basics - things you make instead of something you could buy at a store, but you make at home because it either tastes better to you or saves you a lot in the long run. Are you a pickler? A jelly or jam king/queen? Do you make vats of sauce?

HeatherFeather

Re: Putting up Staple Foods

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 am

For me, I like to make a large batch of spaghetti sauce to freeze. I also make a large batch of meatballs to freeze. I also buy whole chickens or other large raw meats and carve them up at home into parts. Then I wrap them in freezer paper, pop them into freezer bags, label, and I have my freezer stocked with fresh meat.

I love to make jams and jellies and have an assortment of those to choose from. I haven't made any since I moved here though - a little scared of using the flat electric cooktop with my canning pot. I often make freezer jam instead of actual hot water bath canned jams, just haven't made any in a while. I like the freezer jam because I can skip the whole hot water bath process and still have homemade jams.

I also like to make dough for bread, freezing the raw logs until I need a loaf. It takes me no more time really to make several logs of dough when I am making bread, and then later when I don't feel like starting from scratch, I have my ready made dough in the freezer. I sometimes do this with cookie dough too.

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am

I make a variety of stuff to try and keep in my freezer for "fast food". I make frozen pizzas, chicken quesadillas, meatballs, sauce, individual pot pies, fruit pies, breads, broths, and all kinds of desserts just to name a few things. :D

I use to can everything under the sun from my garden but, now where we live our soil isn’t so great for gardening. Now I take what fresh veggies the soil gives me, and I am glad I get that.

invictus

Post by invictus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 am

Gosh I leaned towards making almost everything on my own from laundry soap and cleaning producs to breads, sauces, ect. You really won't find packaged foods, premade sauces, or special seasoning blends in my home. The list goes on and on. I'm even making my own peanut butter, nutella, and jams these days.

It is mostly a matter of cost but I also enjoy the added benefit of not feeding my family additives and preservatives. On the rare occasion that I buy a loaf of bread it FREAKS me out that it is still good sitting on my counter 2 weeks later. That would never happen with a homemade loaf!

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am

invictus wrote:Gosh I leaned towards making almost everything on my own from laundry soap and cleaning producs to breads, sauces, ect. You really won't find packaged foods, premade sauces, or special seasoning blends in my home. The list goes on and on. I'm even making my own peanut butter, nutella, and jams these days.

It is mostly a matter of cost but I also enjoy the added benefit of not feeding my family additives and preservatives. On the rare occasion that I buy a loaf of bread it FREAKS me out that it is still good sitting on my counter 2 weeks later. That would never happen with a homemade loaf!

I Know!!! You wonder what is IN all our food. :shock:

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 am

I do my best to make most of my own stuff. I haven't bought jam in years, as I make so much of it every summer, even when I was dirt poor I still made jam. I just went out and picked wild growing chokecherries and used bottled lemon juice.

When I get the chance I make big batches of pasta sauce and freeze as just sauce or make into lasagnas. I do make lots of homemade freezer meals. I used about 150 foil pans a year just for dinners (2 pans per meal), lots of different kinds of casseroles, chili, some soups.

I can and freeze fruits for desserts, when I can I make extra desserts, I freeze veggies.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 am

When I lived in the Midwest, I raised a huge garden and canned everything under the sun. I don't do that these days. Storage space in So Cal is limited, the temps are too warm for storage of home canned foods and fresh fruits and veggies are more available. These are some things I still make ahead.

I freeze spaghetti sauce with and without meat for different uses. When chicken breasts are on sale, I buy several pounds and grind. With the KitchenAid it doesn't take long and I know how much fat is in the ground meat. Store bought ground chicken/turkey is $$$ and can be full of fat!

I make http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/border-sauce-copycat by the gallon and freeze in portions to fill the squeeze bottle. Sweetie uses this taco sauce more than ketchup. Pizza sauce is made in large quantities and frozen in single pizza containers. Pizza dough is usually in the freezer as well.

Cheeses are purchased in block at Costco, shredded and frozen. Large bags of frozen veggies are also purchased at Costco and divided into smaller bags for the freezer. Large bags of onions get diced and frozen. Not good for eating but ok for cooking.

There are usually some soups and home prepared meals in the freezer.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/crock- ... ried-beans and ready to heat and eat taco meat are stocked in the freezer.

I don't have citrus trees but when my friends give me lemons, limes or oranges I'll juice and freeze in ice cube trays.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:11 pm

I like to buy large quantities of onions, bell peppers and celery. I dice them all up and flash freeze on cookie trays, then add to freezer bags to use quickly as I cook. Works like a charm! :D I do this all the time, which reminds me, I just used up the last of my celery today, need to get another couple bunches to chop up. ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:47 pm

I try to do as much as I can. Working full time, doesn't help; but I do try to cut up extra peppers, onions, celery. I make soup so I always have some om hand. When I cook chicken, I almost always cook extra for later, chop and have it ready.

I make whole turkeys and ham every couple of months to have as quick meals. I usually have ground beef ready to just thaw and make into a quesadilla or calzone. I almost always have pre cooked meats ready to prepare which really helps in cooking times. I also make a casserole or lasagna which is individually frozen. Great for a quick night.

I do make my own pickles, but otherwise, don't can too much other than the Holidays.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 pm

invictus wrote:Gosh I leaned towards making almost everything on my own from laundry soap and cleaning producs to breads, sauces, ect. You really won't find packaged foods, premade sauces, or special seasoning blends in my home. The list goes on and on. I'm even making my own peanut butter, nutella, and jams these days.

I think we need to rename you "The Real Pioneer Woman)!
We make our own laundry soap, but buy bottled fabric softener for the fresh smell. I try to use processed foods only once in a while. But I do love rice a roni and while I can make it and its tasty, sometimes I just want that rice a roni taste! I stopped buying packaged seasonings a long time ago, its easier to make your own, cheaper and you don't get all that filler crap in it! I love to make my own spaghetti sauce, but you will find a jar or two in my home for those quick casserole nights. I stopped buying canned beans, and make my own. SOOO MUCH CHEAPER. I don't buy canned vegetables any more or really frozen ones except for spinach, corn and peas. It's easier for me to just use the steamer bags and use fresh for our veggies. Or roast them! I have started to roast everything lately! Love the taste. I do buy peanut butter, I have never tried to make my own peanut butter!
I need to make real pickles instead of the refrigerator pickles I make. I grew up making them, but haven't done that in 30 years!
I love to make my own salsa weekly and we eat it on everything from eggs, chips and add it in to cooking. Adore salsa!
I do buy ketchup, mustard and mayo, but make my own tartar sauce, barbecue sauces, chinese sauces and salad dressings.
We don't really buy frozen foods, except for fish sticks, french fries and breaded chicken patties. And we eat those items like once every 2 mos, so its not too bad!
I shop the sales for meats. If I find sausage on sale, I will buy 10 of them and freeze, same with chicken, pork chops, hamburger, roasts and steaks. (not ten of all the items, but a large quantity to have on hand.) I am trying to think of other things I make my own of instead of buying it ready made.....