Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
elsie

Re: Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Post by elsie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Liquid Pectin is great for making all kinds of different syrups for pancakes or waffles too.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 pm

I am embarrassed to say I still have hardly made a dent in my list. I did try to use the orange ginger dressing the other night, but it was chilled solid and didn't thaw out in time for dinner, so I used a different dressing. I know I will use that entire bottle up if I can just remember to let it sit out when I start cooking a meal, instead of grabbing it at the last minute. It is really tasty. Once it is gone, however, I think I will start making my own homemade version, so I don't have to worry about thawing out dressing.

I also will not buy marinades again unless I am planning to use them that day. I just let them sit for ages and keep using my own recipes anyway, so I really don't need to buy them at all.

The seasonings I have used a bit of - Florida Sunshine blend is a great citrusy sea salt grinder - nice on my morning eggs. I still haven't used the Everglades seasoning and I haven't used my other flavors of Mrs Dash at all yet. I love Mrs Dash, but I really seem to only use the regular flavor, the spicy, and the garlic flavor. I have a bunch of the other flavors and never think of them.

threefish

Post by threefish » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:33 pm

racrgal wrote:
Liquid pectin is a good thickener for home made salad dressings. I also use liquid pectin in jalapeno jelly.
Aha! I love salad dressing AND jalapenos! Thanks for the guidance. Think I'll try to make some jalapeno jelly this weekend!
Edit:
Oh and syrup! Thanks all :)

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:58 pm

I remembered to use my Everglades seasoning tonight on boiled cabbage. It was good. It is basically a more herby flavored seasoned salt blend.

threefish

Post by threefish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:33 am

threefish wrote: 8. Cream cheese.

9. Dip mixes.

I can cross these two off my list. Yay! I made a cheese ball with a packet of the dip mix and 2 bricks of cream cheese. 8 to go. Let's do this! 8-)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Love everglades and the Florida Sunshine I haven't tried, but have tried other citrus type of seasonings and love them.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:Love everglades and the Florida Sunshine I haven't tried, but have tried other citrus type of seasonings and love them.
The Florida sunshine is really nice. It comes from a neat spice shop that sells most of its herbs/spices in bulk too. I go there sometimes to stock up. The sunshine stuff comes only in a grinder, I think - and they have other neat blends, like a Parisian one with lavender in it.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:58 am

HeatherFeather wrote:Here is my list - I might change out a few things after I go through my stuff one more time.

1. Florida Sunshine blend (a salt grinder citrus herb blend)
2. jar of gourmet sweet potato jam/filling my kid got me as a gift
3. cardamom pods
4. dried lavender
5. Mrs Dash (I have almost every flavor - need to use more than the basic one)
6. Miracle Whip Lite (need to use up, half empty, bought by mistake)
7. 1/2 bottle miso marinade
8. orange ginger dressing
9. Everglades seasoning (Florida blend I bought and never tried)
10. Tuscan herb seasoning blend (bought at gourmet spice shop, still haven't tried)
Highlighted items have been used. I did use a different 1/2 bottle of marinade though, just not the miso one. I need to use up all of those marinades I have anyway.

Hoping to get some lavender jam made this week. Not sure I will get to the sweet potato filling, as dd is on a trip and needs to be here to help me eat whatever I make with it.

threefish

Post by threefish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:25 pm

threefish wrote:
5. Canned diced tomatoes
Used up some of these today! 8-)
Made a big batch of the 5 minute salsa found here.

7 to go! Eek!

edit:
threefish wrote:
1. Turkish seasoning
Also cracked one of these jars open last night. I used about 2 teaspoons of it on a big batch of southern style fried cabbage. It was good. I'm not really sure I make many things that go with it, though. I'll keep one jar and put the others in my food bank donation box.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Good job on getting some things used!

I finally used one of my neglected Mrs Dash flavors (Southwest Chipotle) - it is a nice blend. I really need to remember to use them all more - I have always liked them.