Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Ok folks, it is time once again for a brand new Use it or Lose it Challenge! Anyone can join in at any time of the month, so feel free to jump in at any time.

This month, if you choose to accept the challenge, we are going to focus on our spice cupboards and condiments. You have the entire month to complete your challenge and you can report back at any time during the month whenever you have used an item on your list or if you have any suggestions/questions/requests about how to use any item on anyone's list.

Go through your cupboards and fridge and pick 10 items that you'd like to get some use out of this month that fall under any of these criteria:

:arrow: spices (whole, ground, including blended spices)
:arrow: salts (including flavored salts, coarse or fine salts, seasoned salts, etc)
:arrow: bottled sauces, marinades, salad dressings
:arrow: cooking oils & fats (including flavored oils, frying oils, solid shortening, mayo etc)
:arrow: herbs (dried or fresh or frozen)
:arrow: rubs or pastes
:arrow: seasoning packets (like onion soup mix, sauce powders etc)
:arrow: chutney, jam, jelly, preserves
:arrow: pickles of any kind

Choose 10 items and post your list here. Then let us know what you did with your items. You only have to use each of your items once for it to count for the challenge, and as always, donating the item/throwing it out at the end of the month/turning it into crafts or pet food also counts as "using" it for the purposes of the challenge.

At the end of the month, take a look at what you didn't use and consider whether or not you still want to keep that item. The whole point is to use what you have already purchased in your home and make room for the foods you really do use up. You do not have to toss anything you don't want to.

Have fun!

racrgal

Re: Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Posting for notifications.

I'm headed to the kitchen right now to do a pantry cleanse. It was on the To Do Today list. Now I will make a To Use This Month list. :lol: :lol: I'm a list maker. 8-)

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 pm

I found the following to use this month
1) Dried tomato and garlic pesto mix. I think this was in a gift basket.
2) Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning Blend. A Tupperware freebie.
3) Knorr chicken Noodle Soup Mix. Pretty sure Sweetie bought this.
4) A cup of sour cream.
5) Enchilada sauce. Another mystery food. I make enchilada sauce.
6) 1/2 jar marshmallow fluff.
7) 1 5 ounce can spicy v-8 juice.
8) Jalapeno jelly. Homemade but too much of it.
9) Balsamic Berry Grilling Sauce. I think Sweetie "acquired" this one too.
10) Misc. liquors. Most purchased for recipes but some from sources unknown.

This could get quite interesting. :)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 pm

This is an easy one. Most of these my Dad had before he passed. Probably 3 years old. Past the date I'm sure ... Maybe, but I have used a few others and they have been fine. I may or may not take a chance, Most of the pkgs are good, the marinades are just a little off, and the marmalade is still fine. So, I think I am safe. What do you think?

1. Publix pkg chicken gravy
2. Lipton onion soup
3. Lawrys Steak Marinade
4. Orange marmalade
5. Cherry preserves
6. Primavera pkg dressing
7. Lawrys Lemon Garlic Seasoning
8. BBQ Sauce, Honey BBQ
9. Curry
10. Taco seasoning

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:This is an easy one. Most of these my Dad had before he passed. Probably 3 years old. Past the date I'm sure ... Maybe, but I have used a few others and they have been fine. I may or may not take a chance, Most of the pkgs are good, the marinades are just a little off, and the marmalade is still fine. So, I think I am safe. What do you think?

1. Publix pkg chicken gravy
2. Lipton onion soup
3. Lawrys Steak Marinade
4. Orange marmalade
5. Cherry preserves
6. Primavera pkg dressing
7. Lawrys Lemon Garlic Seasoning
8. BBQ Sauce, Honey BBQ
9. Curry
10. Taco seasoning
With the dry seasonings and powders, usually they are still safe after the date - they just aren't always as potent. I don't toss them right away. If they look or smell off from what they usually should be like, I don't use them - but otherwise, I do use them. Bottled/canned stuff is usually a "best by" date and those can still be eaten, they just start to break down over time more/lose flavor etc. It will usually say "use by" if it really needs to be used by that date. This assumes unopened of course - once opened they spoil as fast as usual.

Engrossed

Post by Engrossed » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:47 am

What a cool event! I really need to stop by this forum more often. I need to learn to cook on a budget. I spend WAY too much on groceries. And my cupboards and fridge are overflowing with 'staples'. :roll: :lol:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:06 am

Engrossed wrote:What a cool event! I really need to stop by this forum more often. I need to learn to cook on a budget. I spend WAY too much on groceries. And my cupboards and fridge are overflowing with 'staples'. :roll: :lol:
Glad to have you on board :) Looking forward to seeing what is on your list. :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:06 am

Yep, all unopened HF. I think I will live. I just hate to throw it out. Actually, I have a package of chicken breasts I picked up at the store yesterday (sale), of boneless/skinless. This is what I usually do; 1 breast per small freezer bag with some of the marinade. Make for small packages and put them in one large freezer bag. Then I can take out 1 at a time and cook them. Although I think my package is 6 not 4. But they would be great to have on hand already marinated.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 am

Kchurchill5 wrote:Yep, all unopened HF. I think I will live. I just hate to throw it out. Actually, I have a package of chicken breasts I picked up at the store yesterday (sale), of boneless/skinless. This is what I usually do; 1 breast per small freezer bag with some of the marinade. Make for small packages and put them in one large freezer bag. Then I can take out 1 at a time and cook them. Although I think my package is 6 not 4. But they would be great to have on hand already marinated.
Oh that is a wonderful idea! I was packing up 4 at a time, half the marinade in each bag - but I never thought of making individual packages. That is much better for my family, since I can just pull out one when I need to feed just me. I am going to do that!

I am still working on my list - should be up later today.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:50 am

I make my Greek packets too. I put a piece of heavy duty foil down. Add some frozen chopped spinach, some diced onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, olives and top it with the chicken seasoned well with the Greek seasoning. Fold up the packets and put in a large ziplock bag. I usually get 3 per bag. Thaw one at a time. Just open up the foil pouch, add a little broth or wine, a teaspoon butter and feta cheese (which is optional). Close back up the pouch and put it in the oven. All in one dinner. Serve with bread and you have a great easy dinner.

You can even add some small diced potatoes to the pouch too. They take about 30-40 minutes depending on the thickness. NO clean up too.

I make those up quite often. I have one in the freezer now.