Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Kchurchill5

Re: Use it or Lose It Challenge March 2012

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 am

I know there are fans of marshmello with yams. YUCK .... But I am glad you are using it up and the fluff sounds like a great way.

Jalapeno jelly. YUM. I serve it on crackers over cream cheese. Delish
Wonderful as mentioned on chicken, also good on shrimp. Really good grilled.

You can also add a bit of onion, and white wine and simmer as a sauce. Tasty over grilled chicken served warm as a sauce.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 am

Heather, a local restaurant serves fluff on baked fresh yams. Soooooooooo good! I ate the last of four yams for lunch yesterday. The fluff is almost gone but not quite. I'm going to have to buy a couple more yams. :lol:

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 am

KC, I really prefer my fresh yams with only a sprinkle of cinnamon. Sweetie is more the fluff person than me but I do indulge now and then. I'm not a fan of canned yams at all and will drown those in fluff so they don't taste as bad. :oops:

I've used the jalapeno jelly for a ham glaze on occasion. A little white wine to thin and baste away.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 am

I'm with you on the yams. The ham too. Very good. There is a local stand at my Farmers Market that makes the best Jalapeno jelly. I know it isn't hard, but for 2.99 a jar, it is enough for me for a while. Really good. I have made it as well but for the holidays.

Although, anything with peppers is good for me.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 am

Ahhhhhhh a gal after my own heart. I love spicy peppers! Not a fan of bell peppers but love the spicy ones.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 am

racrgal wrote:Heather, a local restaurant serves fluff on baked fresh yams. Soooooooooo good! I ate the last of four yams for lunch yesterday. The fluff is almost gone but not quite. I'm going to have to buy a couple more yams. :lol:
Oh I am so trying that!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 am

Kchurchill5 wrote:I know there are fans of marshmello with yams. YUCK .... But I am glad you are using it up and the fluff sounds like a great way.

Jalapeno jelly. YUM. I serve it on crackers over cream cheese. Delish
Wonderful as mentioned on chicken, also good on shrimp. Really good grilled.

You can also add a bit of onion, and white wine and simmer as a sauce. Tasty over grilled chicken served warm as a sauce.
Marshmallows on just about anything - one of my guilty pleasures ;)

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 am

HeatherFeather wrote:
racrgal wrote:Heather, a local restaurant serves fluff on baked fresh yams. Soooooooooo good! I ate the last of four yams for lunch yesterday. The fluff is almost gone but not quite. I'm going to have to buy a couple more yams. :lol:
Oh I am so trying that!
This is a technique that a local restaurant uses to bake yams. They are so good that I thought it would be some huge secret but the waitress was happy to tell me. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/joeys-baked-fresh-yams

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 pm

racrgal wrote:
HeatherFeather wrote:
Oh I am so trying that!
This is a technique that a local restaurant uses to bake yams. They are so good that I thought it would be some huge secret but the waitress was happy to tell me. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/joeys-baked-fresh-yams
OK now I want some yams! Nice method. Basic, good results. I oil my regular potatoes and salt them, then roast them. For some reason I usually nuke my yams. I'll try your way and add some fluff. This of course means I have to buy fluff, which despite my love of marshmallows, I almost never buy. My daughter is going to be happy!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 pm

:lol: Heather, I baked four yams and we cleaned them out in a day and a half. I've never nuked fresh yams because of the strange shapes. I always thought the pointy ends would get overdone. Once I found out how Joey's keeps them so moist I've been a yam baking fool. 8-)