Tips on curbing impulse food purchases

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Tips on curbing impulse food purchases

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:49 pm

I am a big time sucker for impulse food purchases when I am lured by any one of the following:

:arrow: buy one get one free
:arrow: free sample display got me hungry for it
:arrow: free gift attached got me to buy it (like the free jello molds that come out sometimes with gelatin mixes)
:arrow: it says "limited edition" "chef flavor" or "special holiday edition" on it
:arrow: my coupon said I'd get it free if I bought something else first that I might need

I have gotten a lot better about resisting many of these, but hot food samples and holiday flavors really lure me in. One local store always has a free sample out of the coffee flavor of the week. If I like it (and seriously, when don't I? My blood must be 99% coffee) I will often buy it.

I do try to wait until holiday "limited edition" flavors are clearanced - many of those are great buys after the holiday is over. However, some things vanish before they ever hit the clearance shelves. My rule is that I have to limit myself to just 1 or 2 of these items every now and then, and try very hard to not buy it until I have seen it on a couple of shopping trips already and it still is calling my name. I try to wait until the sales drop the prices down to 50% whenever possible.

I know that if I don't stop to taste the free sample, I will often still be lured in by the aroma of it cooking. I try to avoid taking dessert samples, because I really don't want to buy lots of desserts. At least I am not tortured by the smell of them cooking, so they are easier to resist if I don't taste them :lol:

For things that come with a free gift attached (or a free sample attached), I have to either already have the main item on my list anyway or I have to want the free item badly enough that I would buy the free item for that price anyway. Otherwise, I don't buy it.

For the buy one get one free and the free extra item with purchase type coupons, I have made a rule for myself - I have to already be planning to buy the first item anyway OR it has to be something I buy very regularly anyway and don't already have enough of in my pantry/freezer. Otherwise, I don't bother. There will usually be more buy one get one free deals later on anyway, and next time it might be something I really do want.

What are your tips on avoiding these purchases?

Dissie

Re: Tips on curbing impluse food purchases

Post by Dissie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Heather, you are just like me when it comes to samples. I try it and lots of times, get it based on a coupon they are offereing. I always think I need to get that item, cuz it cheaper with the coupon! :roll:
I have so many of those jello molds and last time I looked, I have like 12 boxes of jello in the pantry! WTH? But they come out with some cute ones and you think you will use them, and usually do the first year, then it gets put up and you don't bring it out next season! ;)
Today while shopping I tried a new barbecue sauce, it was chocolate barbecue sauce. YUCK! Didn't even think for one second about that purchase! One lady was buying 3 bottles! She kept saying, this is amazing! She is the reason I tried it. I didn't like it even a little!

Dissie

Re: Tips on curbing impulse food purchases

Post by Dissie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Oh and I don't have any tips, I just get lured in! :lol: I have gotten better though by putting in the baby seat area and then if by the end of shopping I am thinking twice about getting it, I give it to the cashier. The babyseat area is for my "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?" items. Lots of times I will put them back, if they make it to the cart part, they get bought.

HeatherFeather

Re: Tips on curbing impluse food purchases

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Dissie wrote:Heather, you are just like me when it comes to samples. I try it and lots of times, get it based on a coupon they are offereing. I always think I need to get that item, cuz it cheaper with the coupon! :roll:
I have so many of those jello molds and last time I looked, I have like 12 boxes of jello in the pantry! WTH? But they come out with some cute ones and you think you will use them, and usually do the first year, then it gets put up and you don't bring it out next season! ;)
Today while shopping I tried a new barbecue sauce, it was chocolate barbecue sauce. YUCK! Didn't even think for one second about that purchase! One lady was buying 3 bottles! She kept saying, this is amazing! She is the reason I tried it. I didn't like it even a little!
I wish they would just sell the jello molds - I would happily buy them. I don't usually want to have to buy several boxes of pudding mix, graham cracker crusts, or gelatins just to get the mold, but sometimes I reallllly want the cute design.

I loved the flag jello mold and it broke or I lost it - I haven't seen that one in a while. I actually used that one quite a bit. My daughter also MUST have the football helmet shaped jello. I have a couple of those and we did use those a lot too.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Dissie wrote:Oh and I don't have any tips, I just get lured in! :lol: I have gotten better though by putting in the baby seat area and then if by the end of shopping I am thinking twice about getting it, I give it to the cashier. The babyseat area is for my "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?" items. Lots of times I will put them back, if they make it to the cart part, they get bought.
Hah! That is actually a pretty good idea! I set my coupon binder in the baby seat, and my re-usable bags. If I use your idea, I could cut back considerably as there isn't much room up there in the first place with all my other stuff in place. :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 pm

I make myself a list. And I pretty much add up everything. I can almost come within 5.00 of my total cost.

I take cash and my cc when I go out, but only take cash into the store. It forces me to buy only what I need.

I have my written list and as I pick an item, I write down a approx. cost. I have never been more than a few dollars off. Meats are really the only thing that can change. And if I go over, I put back one item that I want, but don't need. It saves tons of money, saves my pantry being over crowded and forces me to purchase only what I need
I rarely buy deals. I may buy specials. Buy 2 Kens Dressings; or buy lobster on sale 2 tales/$6. Salmon 4.99 lb; Jumbo shrimp, 4.99 lb, pork tenderloins 6.99, bogo; I do splurge on those, but I know the sale ahead of time and plan. I pretty much always plan on a set amount and stick to it.

Cilla

Post by Cilla » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:41 pm

EAT before you go grocery shopping! Very important! LOL! :D :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Cilla wrote:EAT before you go grocery shopping! Very important! LOL! :D :D
YES!!!!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Cilla wrote:EAT before you go grocery shopping! Very important! LOL! :D :D
I agree! Although that can also backfire, as I have gone shopping after eating out and was too full to even think about food.

I think I walked out with nothing but coffee, magazines, and household items when I did that :shock: :roll:

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:29 am

Cilla has a point about eating before going to the grocery cause I have fallen into that "trap" a few times where I impulsed buy items cause of near hunger and took long to use to eat those things afterwards!

Unfortunately I have no tips to offers on not impulse buying cause I think I am the queen of that! I usually end up buying things on BOGO or if the price is reduced significantly - at least 50%. But recently because of the budget stretching events on here I decided that this month no matter what it is on sale (even if it is a chocolate too!) I am not buying any. I am even making it a point to pass up items I use (unless it's like half&half) cause I freeze that stuff to use in ice cream recipes and it works out great - plus I make ice cream often. But other items I am not going to get sucked in cause then I'll start using that stuff and what I have had from before will just sit there - again! I have been to the store on Friday and saw lots of sales and passed up every one of them, I felt so proud :lol:. When I get my pantry, fridge and freezer cleared to a bare minimum (only having items I use on a regular basis) then I will restructure the way I buy, for now it's just resisting buying.