The All New Grocery Store Challenge! Join Us!

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Re: The All New Grocery Store Challenge! Join Us!

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I am glad you found some uses you are happy with for those difficult ingredients. I can't even think of one recipe I have for quinoa flour. I agree with you - I like it in its usual form, never tried the flour so it intimidates me.

Cheesecake bites sound yummy!

I have been culling my pantry cans and freezer quite a bit. Really buying almost nothing canned to replace whatever I use up, except a couple of jars of tomato sauce, broth, and artichokes, since I do use them up. I have two shelves that currently store my canned items. I would like to get that cleared out so that only one shelf is taken up. We'll see how well that works - I know it will take me a while to go through it all.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 pm

I did some "Lose It" this month. I decided that there was no way I am going to get around to using all the frozen fruit in my freezer so I bought to the school. When I get around to work again I will make some Apple and Pear Crisp or Cake with all of it. I am kind of confused on how long I will be off, at the office 2 weeks ago he said I could go back to work in 1 week, the papers they gave me say 2-3 weeks, then the small paper he filled out says to see him in his office 4-6 weeks. I will have to phone the office on Monday because I need some Short Term Disability papers filled out so I can get some of my wages paid to me.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:31 am

After working on clearing out the pantry and freezer this month, I have decided that I keep WAY too much food in the house. :lol: I'm going to continue trying to use up what is in both places. Today is pantry cleaning to figure out what is left in there. Might do the freezer and fridge also but time will tell on that.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 am

I did find a recipe for cocoa waffles using only quinoa flour and it was my mum who gifted me both the grain and flour so I was chatting to her on the phone about the flour and how I thought it has this weird smell but I am loving the grain. Then I told her about the waffle recipe and she told me she made waffles using part regular flour and part quinoa flour and the taste of the quinoa flour in it was really overpowering. She advised me against trying it in waffles. So I ended up telling her I'd just give it to my g-ma when she comes on vacation cause she uses it a lot in roti (naan) - so does my mum.

crazy, I hope that gets sorted out for you. Glad you could put the fruit to good use.

I been giving away fruit from my cherry tree in the back yard (but not bing cherries like you get in the USA) it's local cherries. That tree bears so much and usually 3 to 4 times for the year. I have given away so much already and it is still laden!

racr I 100% agree with these words "I have decided that I keep WAY too much food in the house." As soon as I clear out my pantry/freezer I am really going to stop buying on impulse and stocking up too much items (especially if it is regular stuff and not sale items)

I never realized what was going on in my pantry till I started using this forums and participating in these threads. I mean I knew I had things sitting there but didn't realize it was this bad :oops:. Thanks Heather!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:53 pm

When I built this house I really did go overboard on the kitchen. :oops: I think I could store enough food to stock a small market. :lol: However I DO like having a place to put everything. Things will be different when I move but that is not a bad thing. :)

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:07 pm

racrgal, is there a thing as too much food. :D

Roxanne, must be nice to have a cherry tree that bears year round. I finally bought cherries last summer after not having any for 2 years, I got only bing, but wish I had gotten some sour ones too as many recipes seem to call for them.

Me, I have got to slow down on buying too much fruit, I only use it for desserts but I am trying to cut them out, and found I like having pie filling and in shells frozen or canned, then just the frozen fruit, which I started doing 2 years ago. I will have to plan my garden better too, I have been planting too many beans.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:28 pm

racrgal, is there a thing as too much food.

LOL only when you have to pack and move it. :lol:

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah I guess that would be a pain. We have lived in our house for almost 10 yrs now, with no plans on moving.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Crazy, I am rethinking moving food. I'm not making a long distance move and decided there isn't much difference in moving from house to house and bringing food home from the market. :lol: I've been in this house five years and hopefully this move will be my last.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 am

I wanted to share photos of the cherries I talked about.