The All New Grocery Store Challenge! Join Us!

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Roxanne

Re: The All New Grocery Store Challenge! Join Us!

Post by Roxanne » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm

racr, that's awesome. Glad you were able to use all those things.

Although this was not listed for the week it is on my month long notepad list. I managed to make a dent in those wonton wrappers I've had in the freezer for a while. Made some of Linda's Shrimp recipe. Highly recommend it, very delicious.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm

HeatherFeather wrote:I am using the marinade tonight for dinner - I have a bottle of miso marinade (which I had bought in addition to a tub of miso as a backup when I made homemade miso marinade for another recipe). It will go on salmon.

I also will be using the chicken coating to make oven fried chicken fingers, some of which will get stashed in the freezer to eat another day.

This should all get done tonight or tomorrow, so I little late, but better than not getting used up:)

I didn't get to make the cookies yet - everything got set back as I was sick part of last week and didn't feel up to much.

So this week, I am continuing my same pantry purge items, but adding feta cheese to the list for this week. I bought some to use for a recipe, used half. Then I meant to make Greek Salad with the rest, only I didn't get to that yet. Hoping to make it this week and use up all of the remaining feta.
The chicken turned out very good as did the salmon. Still have to use the cookie mix and the feta cheese.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 pm

I LOVE feta cheese in a spinach salad or on pasta or on grilled crostini or just about any other way. :)

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:55 am

Hmm - just noticed the best by date on the cookie mix - 2010! I'll be tossing that. I feel bad - it was a gift, but I almost never use cookie mixes. It came with a cookie cutter attached, and I do get use out of that.

Can you believe I still haven't touched that feta cheese! I love it, but I just haven't been in a salad mood at all. I need to make one this weekend or toss the rest of the cheese.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 am

I am going to work on another Pantry Purge this week. I need to dig around and find what canned and/or dried beans, lentils etc I have and use or toss them. I haven't touched them in months and some may need to get used up fast.

I also need to go through all of my canned items in general and check dates, tossing anything out of date.

My items for the week will be beans, canned goods, and also dry packets of Italian salad dressing seasoning.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 am

Heather, if you have a "Good Seasons" Italian dressing. They make a great marinade for pork tenderloin or chicken.

I don't make the packet as directed. I add the mix with 1/4 cup olive oil and just a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, or white wine. Then I usually add a little OJ or pineapple juice. Throw in the chicken or pork and marinate all day. I often add a couple of garlic cloves, just smashed as well.

Then grill away. Also, you marinate the pork all night at then add to the crock pot along with just a little broth and onions. Chicken works well too in the crock, but boneless skinless can dry out easily if not careful.

But the marinade is really good. Works on pork chops too.
I always a few packets in my pantry for a marinade in a hurry, if my herbs are not in season.

Also,it makes a great chicken soup. My recipe is posted. I love fresh herbs, but sometimes it is just easier

Last, mix frozen corn, black beans, a little red onions and a spicy pepper (jalapeno), I like tomato too, just a little. A little evoo, red wine and a teaspoon or so of the pkg dressing. Garlic too if you want. A good easy salad.

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:52 am

HeatherFeather wrote:I am going to work on another Pantry Purge this week. I need to dig around and find what canned and/or dried beans, lentils etc I have and use or toss them. I haven't touched them in months and some may need to get used up fast.

I also need to go through all of my canned items in general and check dates, tossing anything out of date.

My items for the week will be beans, canned goods, and also dry packets of Italian salad dressing seasoning.
Oh, I have those Good Seasons packets. I like it! I use it for my reduced fat dressing, I like to add just a bit of balsamic vinegar and not nearly the amount of oil they call for. Still good after all these years!

I recommend this recipe to anyone needing to use up some white beans, it is excellent -

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/creamy ... educed-fat

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:Heather, if you have a "Good Seasons" Italian dressing. They make a great marinade for pork tenderloin or chicken.

I don't make the packet as directed. I add the mix with 1/4 cup olive oil and just a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, or white wine. Then I usually add a little OJ or pineapple juice. Throw in the chicken or pork and marinate all day. I often add a couple of garlic cloves, just smashed as well.

Then grill away. Also, you marinate the pork all night at then add to the crock pot along with just a little broth and onions. Chicken works well too in the crock, but boneless skinless can dry out easily if not careful.

But the marinade is really good. Works on pork chops too.
I always a few packets in my pantry for a marinade in a hurry, if my herbs are not in season.

Also,it makes a great chicken soup. My recipe is posted. I love fresh herbs, but sometimes it is just easier

Last, mix frozen corn, black beans, a little red onions and a spicy pepper (jalapeno), I like tomato too, just a little. A little evoo, red wine and a teaspoon or so of the pkg dressing. Garlic too if you want. A good easy salad.
Great suggestions! The black bean thing sounds really up my alley.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Denise wrote:
HeatherFeather wrote:I am going to work on another Pantry Purge this week. I need to dig around and find what canned and/or dried beans, lentils etc I have and use or toss them. I haven't touched them in months and some may need to get used up fast.

Oh, I have those Good Seasons packets. I like it! I use it for my reduced fat dressing, I like to add just a bit of balsamic vinegar and not nearly the amount of oil they call for. Still good after all these years!

I recommend this recipe to anyone needing to use up some white beans, it is excellent -

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/creamy ... educed-fat
Sounds good - thanks for the link.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:29 am

Heather, glad to hear your chicken and salmon turned out good but sorry to hear the cookie mix expired. I had that happen to me over a year ago. My mum knows I love to bake but I guess she didn't realize I don't usually bake from mixes and sent me chocolate chip cookie mix. By the time I decided I would just bake it and freeze the cookies it had expired so I sifted out all the chocolate chips to use in another recipe. Not a complete waste. I can also believe you haven't touched the cheese, there were a couple items on my list I just knew I wanted to use but wasn't in the mood to eat this week.