Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
racrgal

Re: Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Post by racrgal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Will have to give that a dry run to make sure it doesn't make the glasses top heavy. RICE, I can weight the glasses with rice. It will hold the skewers upright and probably give enough bottom weight to the glasses. :)

Roxanne, if you lived close I would give you the waffle glasses. hehehehe Out of my kitchen and into your's. 8-)

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:55 pm

racrgal wrote: Will have to give that a dry run to make sure it doesn't make the glasses top heavy. RICE, I can weight the glasses with rice. It will hold the skewers upright and probably give enough bottom weight to the glasses. :)

Roxanne, if you lived close I would give you the waffle glasses. hehehehe Out of my kitchen and into your's. 8-)
Rice is a great idea!

lol, I would gladly accept them cause I just love the design.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:44 pm

8) Small crock pot (gets pushed to the back of the cabinet and lost) Currently in use cooking a small pork shoulder for pulled pork later today. 8-)

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 am

I'm making a dent in my list. :D
1) Irish coffee cups (I forget about them and grab a regular cup)
2) Footed glass dessert dishes (pretty little things but I don't make a lot of desserts) Used to serve warm fruit salad during Super Bowl
3) Antique wine glasses (not dishwasher safe but loved them)
4) Creme brulee dishes (Last used a year ago)
5) Bundt cake pan (Going to use with a doctored up yellow cake mix from the pantry)
6) Wilton molded cookie pan (recipe suggestion would be appreciated. The one that came with the pan was yukky.)
7) Rotary cheese grater (I forget to buy block parm or romano) Found a block of romano in the freezer and am currently using.
8) Small crock pot (gets pushed to the back of the cabinet and lost) Used for a pork roast and warm fruit salad.
9) Small crystal salad plate (a bit high in the cabinet for easy use)
10) Cone shaped footed ice cream dishes (a gift that has never been used) Filled with rice and then used to hold shrimp skewers.

This challenge is really going to help me decide what to use and what to lose. 8-)

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Super Bowl shrimp.
Last edited by racrgal on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Wow that turned out great! The shrimp look so incredibly delicious!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:35 pm

The shrimp were AWESOME! A recipe I tagged in the Billboard game. I may not keep all four of the waffle glasses but will probably keep two. Fruit skewers should be really cute served the same way.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 pm

racr that presentation is stunning! Totally love it.

I haven't been able to go through my stuff yet but I am listing a few things my eyes fell on while I was in the kitchen. Thinking of this post and seeing the items made me realize I only used it once or twice after I "needed it so badly" :roll:

1. Martini glass
2. Ice Cream Sundae glass
3. Round Fluted Cookie Cutters

More to come...

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks, Roxanne. Guess a couple of those glasses will get to hang around.

You've made it quite clear that you love chocolate. :D How about http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/white- ... te-martini for your martini glass?

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Roxanne wrote:racr that presentation is stunning! Totally love it.

I haven't been able to go through my stuff yet but I am listing a few things my eyes fell on while I was in the kitchen. Thinking of this post and seeing the items made me realize I only used it once or twice after I "needed it so badly" :roll:

1. Martini glass
2. Ice Cream Sundae glass
3. Round Fluted Cookie Cutters

More to come...
Martini glasses and actually several other cocktail glass shapes make excellent shrimp cocktail dishes. You put the dip into the base and dangle the shrimp around the rim of the glass.

You can also turn the glass upside down onto parchment paper to trace the outline, or directly onto pastry to cut perfect sized rounds for a small pie.