Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Roxanne

Re: Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Post by Roxanne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 am

Oh my gosh racr that recipe looks amazing and I am a big white chocolate fan too. Unfortunately I have everything except the main ingredient for it. - the chocolate liqueur! :roll: Still saved it though, yum! Bet that would be an awesome V-day drink.

Heather, nice idea for the shrimp. Since I'm planning to make some fried coconut shrimp in the near future I may just use it to make a fancy presentation for myself.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 am

Roxanne, the chocolate liqueur is outrageously expensive here in the states but I love the stuff. Yes, it would be a lovely Valentine's Day drink.

The coconut shrimp would be beautiful hooked over the side of a martini glass. You could put a dipping sauce in the glass with the shrimp on the edge. Heather has a great idea!

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Oh man, that means if I do see it here it'll be even more expensive. I get so bummed lots of times cause I rarely ever see the travel sized bottles of alcohols to say I can just buy some for a 1 time recipe instead of shelling out so much cash for a big bottle I'd use rarely.

You totally read my mind on the shrimp thing! I was thinking of putting my dipping sauce in the glass and just having a ball by myself being fancy :lol: - I do that sometimes with other dishes :oops:

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 pm

You totally read my mind on the shrimp thing! I was thinking of putting my dipping sauce in the glass and just having a ball by myself being fancy - I do that sometimes with other dishes
I think this is a WONDERFUL practice. For lunch today I served myself warm fruit salad over sponge cake using a cute footed dessert glass. No reason to "save" our pretties for special as WE are special. ;) 2) Footed glass dessert dishes (pretty little things but I don't make a lot of desserts)

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:37 pm

racrgal wrote: I think this is a WONDERFUL practice. For lunch today I served myself warm fruit salad over sponge cake using a cute footed dessert glass. No reason to "save" our pretties for special as WE are special. ;) 2) Footed glass dessert dishes (pretty little things but I don't make a lot of desserts)
I totally agree with that. Sometime during the latter half of 2011 the idea hit me. My dad and I were having a talk and this is how I got the idea to stop having things lying around for "special occasions." It was a talk about not getting too attached to anything (we were talking about our fishes but it applies to all things) and enjoying the present and what you have while you have it. When it is time to let go, don't make a fuss. I got to say, I took those words to heart and started to enjoy things in my life more and I even felt happier. Then I started going through my mum's glasses and dishes and found lots of nice stuff I've never seen her use. The first thing I did was have myself a tea party with her tea pot set :lol:. It was really nice hehe. Now that said, I do have things I just don't seem to use much even though I don't have it put away for a special occasion. Not sure why I even thought I "needed one" in the first place now that I notice "it" sitting there hardly being used.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 pm

My mom always used all of our dishes - nothing was held back. We drank our tea from teacups and ate on the "good" dishes whenever she felt like using them.

I do that now - I eat on my china every day without thinking about it. I use whatever serving pieces I feel like using, without worrying if they are supposed to be for special occasions only. I save holiday items for the holidays they are associated with, but otherwise I don't mind using everything I own. I'd rather see it get used and enjoy it - it is not worth anything to me stuffed in a box.

My problem is that I do have several things I forget I own, since I do have quite a bit. If I don't absolutely love it or don't use it ever, then I will gladly pass it on to a relative or sell it or donate it.
Last edited by HeatherFeather on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:37 pm

The fact that many of us don't save the "good" things for "special" people makes me smile. I learned this lesson years ago.

My Gma received many, many lovely items over the years and "saved them for good". When she passed away we threw away lovely lotions and perfumes which had soured while being "saved". In addition to the lotions there were tons of unworn nightgowns while she slept in ragged gowns. Food gifts ( candy, flavored coffee, smoked sausage, etc.) were "saved" until way past their prime and many went to waste. I could go on and on with items she didn't use. Not me! If I don't use a gift, it's because I don't have a use for it.

Like you, Heather I have seasonal items that don't get used all year. I'd imagine folks would laugh their heads off if I put out the Christmas china on July 4th. :lol:

I have to confess to one item being "saved". Not really "saved" but protected. My mother's china. It's not a high dollar set but it is complete, discontinued and irreplaceable. It isn't hidden away but lovingly displayed in my china cabinet where I see it daily. That china is the only thing I have of her's so I will continue to "save" it. ;)

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Oh Heather, my mother was the complete opposite of yours. She would scream at me if I even touched any of those "decorations" - cause that is what they were doing! Just there as decorations as far as I see it. She was afraid I'd break them but they still never got used. Once my g-parents came to visit (her parents) and they wanted to use the champagne glasses off the shelf and we did and my g-pa broke one by accident, boy was she sore at him for that! But really I don't get why she had so much stuff and never used any of them. Some are pretty plain but others are really nice. I do hear ya about the whole holiday theme thing but I don't have many holiday themed dishes - only a few Christmas ones. But when I decided to enjoy whatever I have I did decide that I am not going to save my sprinkles for "whatever holiday" and use it whenever I feel like :lol:. It's not like I can't get more and they will just sit there for a long period of time till they probably won't be good to use anymore. Plus I have tons of fun dressing up my desserts now.

racr, that is really sweet about protecting your mum's china. I can totally understand that. My mother just bought stuff because it beautified I guess and frankly I don't see the point. My grandmother also has pots and pans she recently bought but never uses! I don't understand why that is. Why buy something new to not use it? Instead she hid them all away :? . On the note of the many different items you spoke of your g-ma saving and leaving behind un-used or spoilt. I have also stopped saving my shoes and jewelry (fashion earrings in particular) for special occasions and have started matching my earrings everyday to my clothing (even when home) and wearing my fancy shoes and enjoying them when I go out. If I have to drive I pack my heels to put on when I get to the mall (I am afraid to drive in heels lol) instead of just putting on a flat sandal or flip flop all the time and having all my beautiful shoes staring at me. Plus there are some I was saving for special occasions but I don't anymore cause I rarely ever have a wedding or other really special function to go to. But, these small changes in how I use and enjoy things have made me truly appreciate what I have even more in the now and I feel like if a day came that I'd have to lose whatever it is (one way or another) I won't regret that I never enjoyed these things, but rather treasure the fact that I had the chance to and move on.
Last edited by Roxanne on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 pm

hit quote instead of edit by mistake :oops:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:51 am

Well I finally dug out my teacups and they are now on display on the wall. Previously they were still stuffed into my cabinet, unused and not even getting looked at. Now that they are on the wall (I have a shelf for them), I am at least enjoying them again. I will tell my daughter she is free to use them as long as they get hand washed after each use and put back on the shelf. I would hate for them to break, but if one does, I can just get another pretty teacup.

I have used my crockpot only once this month so far - I definitely need to remember to use it more often. It is such a handy thing to have running during my daughter's softball season, since she comes home at odd hours.

Haven't made much of a dent in my list otherwise. Funny - I thought it would be easier to get through a list of items to use. :?