Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
racrgal

Re: Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Post by racrgal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:12 pm

1) Irish coffee cups (I forget about them and grab a regular cup)
2) Footed glass dessert dishes (pretty little things but I don't make a lot of desserts) Used to serve warm fruit salad during Super Bowl. Used for fruit and yogurt after I made yogurt. I'm liking using these little dishes a lot!
3) Antique wine glasses (not dishwasher safe but loved them). used for wine with dinner last night.

4) Creme brulee dishes (Last used a year ago)
5) Bundt cake pan (Going to use with a doctored up yellow cake mix from the pantry)
6) Wilton molded cookie pan (recipe suggestion would be appreciated. The one that came with the pan was yukky.)
7) Rotary cheese grater (I forget to buy block parm or romano) Found a block of romano in the freezer and am currently using. I am currently making good use of this. I leave the cheese in the grater, put both in a gallon zip lock baggie and store in crisper drawer. It's so handy to just grab the baggie and grate the cheese.
8) Small crock pot (gets pushed to the back of the cabinet and lost) Used for a pork roast and warm fruit salad. Used to warm ham and beans for Sweetie's dinner one night.
9) Small crystal salad plate (a bit high in the cabinet for easy use). Put on a lower shelf and discovered these are the perfect size for a bit of dessert. Used today for a peach upside down cake.
10) Cone shaped footed ice cream dishes (a gift that has never been used) Filled with rice and then used to hold shrimp skewers.

I'm still in search of a recipe for the molded cookie pan. I'm thinking that particular pan might go away at the end of the month.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 pm

I had a recipe somewhere that I got from a neighbor for a molded cookie pan cookie - I haven't used it in a long time but it was good. No idea where it is though >< I will try to find it.

I posted some pictures of one of my teacups today in another forum:
http://www.recipezazz.com/viewforums/vi ... f=4&t=2250

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:46 am

I got to agree Heather, I thought it would be easy to use these things too but I haven't used any yet and mine is only 3 things so far :shock:. Still haven't got around to rummaging around my cupboard. Your teacups are beautiful! I love the photos of that ginger shortbread too. I love ginger so I will be looking forward to your recipe.

racr I also have a molded cookie pan from wilton. It's a Christmas themed one and my grandma gifted it to me cause she knows I love to bake and she got it on sale too. It's pretty but I never used it. I've only had it for a year now but I was thinking of using it like a madeleine pan. I don't have one of those but figured a madeleine recipe may bake up nicely in it? I should add my pan to my list too.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:07 pm

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am

Ok, I used my rotary cheese grater last night to grate up all of the cheese for my fondue. Then I used both of my smaller crockpots to serve the two fondues in.

I still haven't found that silly strawberry huller and it sure would have come in handy last night when I was prepping my berries.

I always forget how handy that grater is - I am so happy I still have it. I might not use it as much as I should, but it really is a great little gadget.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:30 am

HeatherFeather wrote:I have so much stuff in my kitchen that isn't getting used nearly enough.

1) cookie cutters - I have tons of these, I really need to go through them again and pick out some to get rid of and only keep the ones I will use. I am a real sucker for them. I get too lazy to make the actual cookies!

2) fondue pot - something I had to have and found at a yard sale or thrift shop, still haven't used even though my daughter and I love to go out for fondue at the Melting Pot restaurant.

3) pretty teacups - I have a lot that have sat in my china cabinet even since I moved here

4) Bundt pan - I have so many pretty shapes of these, but I have not used all of them yet, so I hope to try at least one of the "never been used before" pans

5) rotary cheese grater - I have one too and forgot I owned it! My sister gave it to me one year and I love it. I have been meaning to switch to grating my own cheese anyway

6) crockpot - I am trying to make a conscious effort to use my crock pot as much as possible

7) sandwich shapers - I have a few different sandwich cutters that make pocket sandwiches etc that I don't use enough

8) salad dressing shaker - for making homemade dressing

9) strawberry huller - if I can find it, I keep wanting to use it and end up cutting the tops off of my berries, wasting so much fruit

10) pasta maker

Everything in pink/purple is something I haven't used yet this month. At least I did make a dent in my list. Still half the month to go. :o

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 am

Anyone know how I can use a crockpot duo for a family of 5. I was gifted it and now that I have used it and thrown out the styro-foam, I don't think it is returnable.

I cooked 2 kinds of meat in it, and it took both pots to make enough for a meal and 1 lunch. The crocks are 2.5 qt each, which are very small for a family. We don't do fondues, and I am partial to making large meals and freezing leftovers.

I am thinking of maybe using one for a side dish but I am not sure what to cook separate. I am used of chucking veggies in the bottom of a crockpot, adding meat and some kind of sauce.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 pm

HeatherFeather wrote:The ginger recipe appeared today
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/scotti ... shortbread
Awesome! Just saved it and put it on my "dessert Line-up" list so I won't forget about it. Yum!

The bundt pan, are they all the large ones or do you have mini ones too?

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Roxanne wrote:
HeatherFeather wrote:The ginger recipe appeared today
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/scotti ... shortbread
Awesome! Just saved it and put it on my "dessert Line-up" list so I won't forget about it. Yum!

The bundt pan, are they all the large ones or do you have mini ones too?
I hope you enjoy it :)

I have all sizes of Bundts - and many shapes.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

crazyndncook wrote:Anyone know how I can use a crockpot duo for a family of 5. I was gifted it and now that I have used it and thrown out the styro-foam, I don't think it is returnable.

I cooked 2 kinds of meat in it, and it took both pots to make enough for a meal and 1 lunch. The crocks are 2.5 qt each, which are very small for a family. We don't do fondues, and I am partial to making large meals and freezing leftovers.

I am thinking of maybe using one for a side dish but I am not sure what to cook separate. I am used of chucking veggies in the bottom of a crockpot, adding meat and some kind of sauce.
You might try making a main dish in either your oven or a skillet, and then make two sides in the crock duo. For example: make meatballs in one side, sauce in the other side, boil your pasta on the stove as usual.

Or make a roast chicken or grill some meat, meanwhile have a veggie casserole cooking in one crock, and a cobbler in the other side. Or just have two veggies heating in either side, freeing up your stovetop.

Another good idea is to have soup and sandwich night - heat up two soups or perhaps one soup, one chili and serve with sandwiches.