Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:17 pm

OK, now last month, we all tried really hard to save some money in our food budgets by using up ingredients we already had lying around the house. Everyone did a great job!

This month, we will still be saving money, but in a different way. How many of us have items in our kitchen clogging our counters, cupboards, drawers, and sometimes other parts of the house that we seldom use or just don't use as often as we should. Many of these items will help us in our kitchens - help us cut some time, or to cook healthier, or to save money on pre-processed items, or just make our food look nicer.

This month's event is kitchen appliances, gadgets, gizmos, serving pieces (including china and linens), etc - anything that can be used for food preparation, storage, serving, cooking, baking. Something you already have in your home that you want to get more use out of sometime this month.

Here are some suggestions:

:arrow: specialty kitchen utensils you forget to use
:arrow: specialty gadgets and gizmos such as graters, zesters, egg slicers, etc
:arrow: shaped baking pans such as Bundt pans or mini muffin tins or tart pans
:arrow: cookie cutters or other items to make shaped foods:arrow:
:arrow: small appliances like ice cream makers or food processors
:arrow: big appliances you want to get more use out of (an outdoor smoker, your broiler, that huge Kitchenaid staring at you on the counter, etc)
:arrow: that china some family member gave you and you have collecting dust somewhere
:arrow: kitchen linens or other decorative table setting items you own but never use
:arrow: any sort of kitchen storage items you own but don't use because you forget
:arrow: cookware you own but rarely remember to use (maybe it is your cast iron skillet or a steamer)
:arrow: garnishing tools (to include edible garnishes like sprinkles, food coloring etc)
:arrow: kitchen disposables you bought and forgot to use (such cupcake liners, doilies, parchment paper, crock pot liners, etc)
:arrow: novelty items like a fondue pot, popcorn maker, snow cone maker, even your kid's Easy Bake oven
:arrow: specialty glasses or mugs for certain purposes (such as fancy teacups, Irish Coffee glasses, espresso cups)

Go through your kitchen and make a list of any 10 items you'd like to get more use out of and post your list in this thread. Then, as you use the items, come back and let us know how you used it. Also, you can offer suggestions to others on how to use the items in their lists, with recipe suggestions or just tips on using them. You have all month to get some good use out of these items.

At the end of the month, consider giving away/selling/passing on to a friend anything you didn't use and don't think you ever will. NOTE: You do not have to get rid of anything just because you didn't use it however. It is just a suggestion. For this event, giving an item away does count as using it.

racrgal

Re: Budget Stretchers: Use it or Lose it #2

Post by racrgal » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm

HF, are you reading my mind? My next task before I move is to streamline my kitchen. It's doubtful that I will be able to find a house with such an awesome kitchen so I know some things are going to have to go. My biggest weakness is dishes. Any kind, glasses, casseroles, mugs, crystal, bar quality, high quality, low quality, no quality and even plastic. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to come up with 10 right now but here is my start;
1) Irish coffee cups (I forget about them and grab a regular cup)
2) Footed glass dessert dishes (pretty little things but I don't make a lot of desserts)
3) Antique wine glasses (not dishwasher safe but loved them)
4) Creme brulee dishes (Last used a year ago)
5) Bundt cake pan (Going to use with a doctored up yellow cake mix from the pantry)
6) Wilton molded cookie pan (recipe suggestion would be appreciated. The one that came with the pan was yukky.)
7) Rotary cheese grater (I forget to buy block parm or romano)
8) Small crock pot (gets pushed to the back of the cabinet and lost)
9) Small crystal salad plate (a bit high in the cabinet for easy use)
10) Cone shaped footed ice cream dishes (a gift that has never been used)

:oops: Now I am embarrassed. The list is from only two cabinets in my kitchen. There are ten more cabinets and a dozen drawers. :oops:

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:08 am

racrgal wrote:HF, are you reading my mind? My next task before I move is to streamline my kitchen. It's doubtful that I will be able to find a house with such an awesome kitchen so I know some things are going to have to go. My biggest weakness is dishes. Any kind, glasses, casseroles, mugs, crystal, bar quality, high quality, low quality, no quality and even plastic. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to come up with 10 right now but here is my start;
1) Irish coffee cups (I forget about them and grab a regular cup)
2) Footed glass dessert dishes (pretty little things but I don't make a lot of desserts)
3) Antique wine glasses (not dishwasher safe but loved them)
4) Creme brulee dishes (Last used a year ago)
5) Bundt cake pan (Going to use with a doctored up yellow cake mix from the pantry)
6) Wilton molded cookie pan (recipe suggestion would be appreciated. The one that came with the pan was yukky.)
7) Rotary cheese grater (I forget to buy block parm or romano)
8) Small crock pot (gets pushed to the back of the cabinet and lost)
9) Small crystal salad plate (a bit high in the cabinet for easy use)
10) Cone shaped footed ice cream dishes (a gift that has never been used)

:oops: Now I am embarrassed. The list is from only two cabinets in my kitchen. There are ten more cabinets and a dozen drawers. :oops:
racr, I am totally a dishes, mugs, glasses, any pretty dish that is not plastic fanatic too! Recently I held myself back from buying a small casserole dish and a large fancy shaped bowl just cause I knew I wouldn't use them often :oops:. Turns out I really didn't want them that badly. That said, I went to this store really far away from where I live (on a trip with my g-parents a few months back) and oh my gosh, they had this pyramid looking bowl (wish I could find a photo online) and I resisted buying it right then and there but now I think about it all the time and want to go back there so badly and get one! It isn't large so it would make an awesome individual dessert presentation bowl or maybe it can serve 2. Hmm, can't remember the size exactly. Girl, those cone shaped ice cream dishes, is it those in the photo? Man, I remember the first time I saw those I went crazy for the design but I didn't want a whole set of 6 so I put the thought of buying it out of my mind. Still love them though!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 am

I have so much stuff in my kitchen that isn't getting used nearly enough.

1) cookie cutters - I have tons of these, I really need to go through them again and pick out some to get rid of and only keep the ones I will use. I am a real sucker for them. I get too lazy to make the actual cookies!

2) fondue pot - something I had to have and found at a yard sale or thrift shop, still haven't used even though my daughter and I love to go out for fondue at the Melting Pot restaurant.

3) pretty teacups - I have a lot that have sat in my china cabinet even since I moved here

4) Bundt pan - I have so many pretty shapes of these, but I have not used all of them yet, so I hope to try at least one of the "never been used before" pans

5) rotary cheese grater - I have one too and forgot I owned it! My sister gave it to me one year and I love it. I have been meaning to switch to grating my own cheese anyway

6) crockpot - I am trying to make a conscious effort to use my crock pot as much as possible

7) sandwich shapers - I have a few different sandwich cutters that make pocket sandwiches etc that I don't use enough

8) salad dressing shaker - for making homemade dressing

9) strawberry huller - if I can find it, I keep wanting to use it and end up cutting the tops off of my berries, wasting so much fruit

10) pasta maker

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am

I have to say ... I'm good and I'm bad about this. With just me, alone 2 years ago, I was very good in the kitchen. But then Mom passed and Dad gave me a bunch. Then Dad passed and I inherited EVERYTHING, plus my rental, Dads second place, my place and his.

I have donated over ... I hate to think how much. Full sets of fine china, crystal, waterford, etc. I tried selling, but nobody was buying.

So ... I still have 2 nice sets of china, my Spode for Christmas and every day. I do use them all.

Waterford, they are in my curio cabinets and I have every piece for 8, over 200 hundred pieces. They are used for special occasions only.

I do use things like irish coffe mugs, my ramikens all the time for individual baked dishes. My wok, the NuWave I gave away. Dad had it and I didn't use it.

I guess my fondue I don't use enough, gadgets, I am not a fan. I have the basics for the most part.

And, living in FL with a pool, we tend to not DINE, like colder temp states. I remember up north, you dined in because you had to. Down here, you can go to the beach and have a picnic in Jan. So dinner and dining is much more informal.

But, I have made it a conscious effort since Sept/Oct to really make myself use all my good dishes, etc.

I have a few gadgets I inherited, some are good, some are things I only use 1-2x per year, but I do use them. Others, I use but not that often. But I do use them. Crock pot is usually 1x-maybe 2 per month and that is it, but I do use it. Now, I have a bundt pan, and a tube pan, and a mini bundt pan too. How often do I use it. 4-8 x a year maybe. I won't toss them because I do use them, but mostly for parties. Nothing I would every bake just for me since I rarely eat sweets - basically just for parties. I also have 5 bread pans (3) sizes. I am sure I could down size, but for know I will keep them. I can always get rid of those, and they stack so they take up little room. Maybe a waffle maker which I haven't used in a long time, but I do now and then; and I rarely eat waffles, bu I'll keep it.

So, I can honestly say ... I don't have too many items. I do have some ice cream dishes, but things like this I use for a party, so I keep them. And I do use them, but I just don't use them often.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 am

Yes, Roxanne those are my cone dishes. I wish mine were clear. I might be more inclined to use them. They are each a different color green, yellow, purple and an odd shade of turquoise. They are also quite large. Still not sure what they will get used for.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

I think dishes can be used in so many different ways. Not just for eating out of.

You can uses glasses as vases, use them for unique serving dishes, You can use them for nuts or munchies.

I try to always think a bit out there ... I serve salad in martini glasses, ice cream dishes are great line with lettuce with a tapenade or salsa for parties.

Rather than 1 dip for 6 people, make 6 individuals and use another small dish with a napkin and add the crackers just for him or her.

Shot glasses make great gaspacho shooters or soup shooters
Irish coffee mugs make great serving dishes for custard; maybe a coffee custard.
Wine glasses for fruit salads

Make individual scallop potatoes in small gratins.

A variety of cutting boards and decorative are great for serving food. Not just meat, but anything.

Even clear tupperware containers lined with foil can become fun containers for casual food or a party. Use wicker baskets too for holding condiments, flatware, or munchies.

Clay pots too make great holders for food and dinnerware.

Fancy antiques can all be mixed and matched especially different flatware, glasses and dishes for a unique Old fashioned type of table.

Just a few ideas. I try to use as much as everything, even when I eat alone. Unless I eat outside or on the porch, then plastic or paper. I don't take a chance.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 am

Those glasses would be nice for yogurt parfaits, or to serve some fruit salad in if you didn't want to make an ice cream sundae.

Another thing I would use them for is to serve smoothies in or some other milkshake type thing.

I even though of using them as personal popcorn dishes on movie night :) Or you could serve popcorn chicken or other small foods inside them - pretzel rods, skewered meat or fruit, etc on a party table. If you are having a super bowl party, choose colors that match the teams and they could be used as "megaphones" to hold utensils (place a cloth napkin inside first to protect the interior if needed) or food.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 am

Fancy antiques can all be mixed and matched especially different flatware, glasses and dishes for a unique Old fashioned type of table. I think this kind of table is positively beautiful! So much more fun than all matchy matchy. Pick a "theme" (all gold edged, all blue, all floral but all different) and go for it.

Heather, those are some great ideas. I'm a little afraid of putting liquid in the waffle glasses because of the dip on the side. Even with a straw most folks will end up tipping a drinking glass. Pretzel rods and skewers could be really cute. I'm serving skewered shrimp for Super Bowl. Will have to give that a dry run to make sure it doesn't make the glasses top heavy. The odd colors limit their usage as well. Clear would have been much easier to work with.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

I also have a ton of glasses and a few dishes which my mother left here when she migrated to the USA. Most of them still sit on the shelves but while cleaning/washing them (cause they do pick up dust) I came across a few pieces that caught my fancy. She has a couple shaped like Santa boots which I planned to use for Christmas and guess what? Never did. She also left a teapot set which one day I am not sure what came over me and I actually did a little tea party thing with them :lol:. It was quite fun. A lot of the champagne flutes she left got broken cause I used to use those the most and they were really fragile and mostly broke while washing, now I only have 1 left I think. The other glasses are nice but not fancy. Some have designs - like flowers printed on, others are simply large, others small, etc. I recently came across a cappuccino cup and plate - if I am not mistaken then that is what it is - I want to use but I have no idea for what (I don't drink coffee btw) She left lots of stuff and I remember one time I was actually asking my dad why she had it just sitting there as decorations and not enjoying using them. I found some really neat stuff that I use on a regular basis - like stemmed mini "shot" glasses and a crystal looking sauce "mug."

I only recently started buying dishes and glasses and baking pans, etc. and I try to do so cautiously but sometimes I still end up rarely using something or not using it at all! I do need to go through whatever I have and come back with a list. One thing I have recently re-discovered, maybe only 1 1/2 weeks ago was my immersion hand blender! I was making dhal (split pea "soup") and wanted something to blend the split peas small but not totally pureeing it. Happened to remember that so I whipped it out and been using it regularly now. I even plan to use it to froth hot chocolate - why didn't I think of that before? So I am glad that it is getting put to use!

racr, those are interesting colours. I saw a brownish shade one when I Googled a photo and they looked pretty but I remember coming across this clear one. I am glad Kc and Heather gave you great ideas to use them, I would have never thought to use them in those applications.