Cook one day, Eat for a week

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
dianegrapegrower

Re: Cook one day, Eat for a week

Post by dianegrapegrower » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 am

Dissie wrote:Awesome daughter Diane! My kids would have whined, but probably never thought to help. Now my daughter is a good cook, but she rarely takes the initiative to cook on her own for us.
That was DS - Dear Son. Who, when he went off to college, had me each him how to make cheap, easy meals. Enjoyed a couple months of mother-son cooking.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:40 am

Even more awesome! :D

JanieTeachGal

Post by JanieTeachGal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:58 pm

During the school year, I try to do most of my cooking during the weekends (an OAWC as opposed to OAMC). I meal plan each week (although sometimes that goes awry), and Thursday (because, for some reason it tends to be the day when we break from the meal plan from exhaustion) is designated as leftover or "hot dog" day. I've been known to make a recipe of pulled pork and make sandwiches one day, barbecue potatoes the next, and wraps/nachos with it another day. Same with chili (I call both of those my 3-per meals): chili (sometimes over rice) with fixings, followed by frito pies/nachos, and then chili dogs (because it tends to use the least chili). Leftover day is also good for baked potato bars to use up bits of leftovers not even big enough for a complete serving.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 pm

You should try some of your leftover chili in an omelet or scrambled eggs! It is out of this world.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Shadows1 wrote:You should try some of your leftover chili in an omelet or scrambled eggs! It is out of this world.
Blue Ash chili does that with their Cinti chili. They open for breakfast. I think I'd rather have the Texas chili though for at home. I agree these taste really good. A frittata with chili and Hatch peppers, onions, tomato and Jack cheese on top is the bomb.