Holiday Cookies, Candy and Treats

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

Marion_in_Savannah

Re: Holiday Cookies, Candy and Treats

Post by Marion_in_Savannah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Roxanne wrote:I've never had gingerbread Felix but I do like the taste of ginger, may have to try gingerbread one of these days. Oh man, those roca bars *drools* and can you share the recipe for the cordial cherry preserves? It sounds do decadent and delicious! I'm going to look up your favourite cookie, it sounds good! I also can't seem to resist Reese's no matter what holiday it is :lol:. Your drink also sounds really yummy, since I love white chocolate but I am not a fan of coffee in drink form :?. I like it only in desserts - weird huh?

Oh invictus, you reminded me of a turtle bar recipe I absolutely love. I got to remember to add it to my list. I got say I do agree, with so many yummy recipes out there it is hard to not want to try new ones for the holidays.

I will be trying Tiger Butter and Hot Buttered Rum for the first time this year so I am looking forward to your recipes for them.
Roxanne, try my old family recipe for gingerbread. It comes from my mother's family's cook, when my mother was a child before World War I. Marie never measured anything, except by "enough," or "some" or "a bit," so once Mother stood next to her and measured everything before she added it to the bowl. It's delicious. Try it warm with ice cream or whipped cream, or cold with applesauce.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/maries-gingerbread

I hope you like it.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:25 am

Gosh Felix, I tried looking up cordial cherry preserves on the net and couldn't find any to make or buy! You and your friend are super lucky. I bet the taste of it is superb, chocolate and cherries in preserve form, yum!

Thanks Marion, I saved your recipe. I never thought of eating it with ice cream or whipped cream, but the idea has me leaning more towards trying it this year now!

invictus

Post by invictus » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Roxanne, here is the recipe for the hot buttered rum I have used. It makes a TON and I have to figure out how to scale it down to one of those mini individual sized cartons of ice cream. As written it makes enough for a party.
HOT BUTTERED RUM
1 lb butter
1 lb powdered sugar
1 lb brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 quart vanilla ice cream (at room temperature)
1 1/2 ounces rum
boiling water
nutmeg

Cream together eveything then put in the freezer until needed.

To serve add rum, 2 tablespoons batter (or more) and fill with boiling water to fill cup.

sprinkle with nutmeg.

PALE TIGERS BUTTER
Pale Tigers Butter

1 lb white chocolate, melted
1 1/3 cups peanut butter, crunchy
1 lb semisweet chocolate, melted

Line a 10x15 inch pan with parchment and set aside.

Melt both white and bittersweet chocolate seperately, using your favorite method. When melting the white chocolate add the peanut butter, stirring constantly until well blended. Spread the peanut butter and chocolate onto the prepared pan.

Next pour the melted bittersweet chocolate over top, using a knife, swirl to create a marble pattern.

Put in fridge and chill until firm, then cut into two inch pieces.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for sharing invictus! The Hot Buttered Rum recipe I saved is similar to yours and I was planning on scaling it back to make only a few servings then posting here on Zazz - small batch. I like that your recipe uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar so I am leaning towards doing a small batch of yours. What size is the small container you are referring to? If I can figure it out and I do post (using your recipe) I will give you credit for the full recipe and just refer that this is a smaller portioned version of it. The pale's tiger butter looks so good! I think I might make it this week. Thanks again for sharing!

invictus

Post by invictus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Roxanne wrote:Thanks for sharing invictus! The Hot Buttered Rum recipe I saved is similar to yours and I was planning on scaling it back to make only a few servings then posting here on Zazz - small batch. I like that your recipe uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar so I am leaning towards doing a small batch of yours. What size is the small container you are referring to? If I can figure it out and I do post (using your recipe) I will give you credit for the full recipe and just refer that this is a smaller portioned version of it. The pale's tiger butter looks so good! I think I might make it this week. Thanks again for sharing!

I had to look it up but it is a pint.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Ah that's about 2 cups worth of ice cream. So it'll still make a good amount IMO.

This is how I broke down your recipe

1 cup butter
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup and 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream (at room temperature)
1 1/2 ounces rum
boiling water
nutmeg

I was planning on making about half the amount of this broken down recipe for the first time. But I hope these measurements are exactly what you are looking for.

invictus

Post by invictus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks so much Roxanne, this is perfect!

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:17 pm

invictus wrote:Thanks so much Roxanne, this is perfect!
You're welcome. If you tried it already, did it turn out tasting like your full batch recipe?

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:55 pm

OK.. Now I am in the mood for Christmas Baking :)

Every year I try to make cookies, candies and treats for the cookie trays, but some years are better than others. A couple of things that I do make every year are my mom's recipe for date nut pinwheels, and I load them up with nuts and they are just out of this world good, and my favorite cookie hands down...

Shirley's Date Nut Pinwheels
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/shirle ... -christmas

Another recipe that I love to make is my gram's chocolate fudge... It is so good, and not the soft chewy fudge... She used to pull it out when company came and everyone dove into the container to grab piece after piece... I load my batches with extra nuts, cause I love nuts and they are so good in fudge!

Bea's Chocolate Fudge
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/beas-chocolate-fudge

I also love my aunts recipe for chocolate peanut butter fudge.. It is wonderful and she always makes it for us for the holidays. The past couple of years I have made it and enjoy every piece!

Betty's Peanut Butter Fudge
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/bettys ... tter-fudge

Now my uncle used to make this fudge called chantilly fudge that I was crazy over, and when I knew he was making it, I would call and let them know I was stopping by for a piece :) It is a wonderful addition to candy and cookie trays for the holidays!

Uncle Arthur's Chantilly Fudge
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/uncle- ... illy-fudge

And last but not least is my aunt's recipe for her famous peanut butter fudge... It was always a special treat and I love to make it, especially for the holidays!

Gerry's Peanut Butter Fudge
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/gerrys ... tter-fudge

I just tried a new drink recipe from another member and really loved it. I will be making it again for Christmas it went over so well with my family for Thanksgiving...

Bud Light Lime and Vodka Punch
http://www.recipezazz.com/node/11449

invictus

Post by invictus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:10 am

I haven't made it yet Roxanne, it will probably be a few weeks before I do.