~*~TIPS ... Holiday Helpers~*~

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 am

Lets face it ... Holidays can be and are stressful. Planning, shopping, organizing, cooking - and then you are supposed to relax and enjoy yourself. Trust me, any of us who cook realize - it's a lot of work. But there are several tips and ideas that can make your Holiday meals a bit "less" crazy.

Holidays are most often with family, but not always. How about Uncle Bob's new girl friend, or your daughters new boy friend. It isn't always easy because you as a cook want to please EVERYONE, and that is not an easy job. One likes potatoes, one wants sweet potatoes - one doesn't like ham, one does - one is a vegetarian but most are not, etc. We have all been there haven't we? And, then there is just making a special dinner for your sweetie or significant other, say on Valentines Day or maybe New Years Eve - every Holiday presents a challenge. And on top of that ... some of us work and some don't; we may or may not have families to juggle, but this still doesn't change the fact that ... Holidays STILL stress us out!

So ... here are some interesting tips or "Holiday Helpers" that you may find useful. Everything from planning, shopping, cooking and of course decorating.

Linda and I would love to hear any of your Holiday Tips you would love to share.

PLANNING
~ Make a guest list. And be sure to note anything that your guests CAN'T or WON'T especially allergies).

That includes whether they drink alcohol or not. And note if there will be any children and their ages ~

~ Don't worry about pleasing everyone, it's impossible. Try to make a mix, so even though Uncle Bob doesn't like ham, you can offer him turkey, beef or a casserole he can enjoy ~

~ And, create a theme - it just makes the meal flow better. We all have favorite dishes, but sometimes it is fun to try something new. Try to stick with recipes and dishes that all compliment one another ~

~ If you are having a potluck ... please tell your guests what you are planning, and ask them if they could let you know what they are bringing. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking, and it really helps to avoid having those 3 green bean casseroles or 4 pasta salads. This helps you plan ahead - which in turn helps to avoid stress ~

~ And, don't forget ... it doesn't have to be dinner. If you have other obligations, try having brunch or an early lunch or a mid day BBQ. It doesn't always have to be a formal dinner ~

~ Pick your recipes ahead of time and try to match your recipes and your flavors. For instance; you wouldn't want to serve a fresh light seafood dish with a heavy pasta side dish; or a Mexican casserole with a caesar salad; match your dishes to compliment one another ~

~ And, know what dishes you have on hand for serving, so you don't end up at the last minute without something you need ~

~ Figure out what type of meal you want this to be - casual, formal, sit down, buffet, family style; paper (and don't be afraid of using paper) or a more formal dinnerware type of setting ~

~ Plan your table and your decorations (including flowers) ahead of time ~

SHOPPING
~ Before you head out - MAKE a list. And don't just rely on what you think you have. Look. Print out each recipe and go to the fridge and pantry to make sure you have each ingredient. People make this mistake all the time, including me. They see 2 sticks of butter and they think they have enough. Well add up
how much butter for each dish and more than likely, you don't have enough. So, check each recipe and make sure you have everything. This also is true for spices and wine or beer which people forget to check ~

~ Also, buy extra. I know extra food. ... but, I always have an extra container of heavy cream or milk, butter cheese and olive oil. Trust me, it it worth having it on hand, you will still use it all up eventually, but it may save you a trip to the store at the last minute ~

~ And, for Holidays, I like to garnish my food - give it that extra WOW. For each recipe, figure out how you want to plate it, and you can buy the appropriate garnish. It may be nothing more than parsley, cheese, maybe some endive, or sliced oranges, lemons or limes. How about cranberries or fresh summer fruits or nuts. But plan ahead and you can make a simple recipe look fantastic for a simple garnish ~

~ Gift bags. Yes, gifts. I have found it is so nice to give your guests a gift. NO, it doesn't have to be expensive or fancy; a simple homemade bag of fudge, cookies, a personalized cookie for each guest. If dinner included a spiced cider, give them some of your spice mix or a seasoning blend you made that you
used on dinner. Just a small plastic bag and any party store has them and they are very inexpensive.

For instance, last year I made peppermint fudge and I put 5-6 pieces in each bag and tied with a red and green bow. It costs nearly nothing, but it was just a nice touch. One year I made gingerbread squares and put 2-3 in each bag. As I said, not expensive and definitely a nice touch and can be made well ahead ~

COOKING
~ Have "munchies" like olives, nuts, dried fruits set around in small bowls around your house so people can snack. These are inexpensive, simple, and it keeps people entertained as you are busy doing other things ~

~ Timeline ... a must. Make a list of what can be made ahead and how it can be reheated. This allows you to spend time with you guests, but also, so you can fit everything in your oven. And make a plan so when you are starting to cook, you have a list of Recipe A goes in at 1pm, Recipe B goes in at 3pm, etc. That may
sound crazy, but trust me, it works. Make a Plan so you don't get behind. Lots of things can be prepared ahead, so take advantage of that ~

~ Shortcuts, do not be afraid to use them. One year I was planning to make mashed potatoes for Christmas, and my stove broke. Well, off to the store and bought pkg of pre-mashed, I added sour cream, butter, herbs and done. NO one knew and I didn't tell them. Things come up, so don't worry, do the best you can, take advantage of store bought items and add a few of your own touches - you're guest will never know. No need to stress over something like that ~

DECORATING
~ Get out all your dishes and serving platters ahead of time to make sure you have enough. Set your table or buffet so you know where everything goes. This prevents last minute panic ~

~ I always decorate my table the morning of or the night before, it avoids having to do that when you are trying to cook and get ready ~

~ Use places like the dollar store, party store, discount stores for pots, baskets, silk flowers, platters, buckets, etc. And fabric stores are great for table runners; craft stores are great for quick centerpieces ~

~ Flowers ... You don't need a big centerpiece which costs a small fortune. Small pots, baskets, unique vases even mason jars or old wine bottles in your house will work just fine. Think of small arrangement and use local inexpensive flowers, or even flowers from your local Home Depot or nursery. They can be just as beautiful. Mini pointsettias for Xmas are beautiful in a big basket or even in flower pots. Spray a simple clay pot gold or silver and fill with small red mums ~

~ Fill candle holders or vases with a pillar candle and then fill around the candle with acorns, leaves, pine cones, cranberries or the fruit of the season for a beautiful presentation - use vases of fresh fruits along with seasonal greens for a simple centerpiece ~

~ Place cards. Yes a bit Semi Homemade ... but it is a nice touch and easy, especially for a formal sit down dinner party. Cut card stock and stamp a leaf or a something easy (stamp and ink from any craft store), and then write their name on it and place it on the plate ~

~ If they are guests you are not familiar with, print the recipe on a small card and place in front of the recipe on the buffet table. This is something done in advance, but can be really very nice, especially for those who are not familiar with your cooking, or may have issues with some foods ~

Well guys, these are just some tips I hope you find useful. But thinking and planning ahead really is the key. But don't let the little things get you down. Have a back up plan and I promise your Holiday Meals will be a success!

LindasBusyKitchen

Re: TIPS ... Holiday Helpers

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the great tips Kim! I love it!

When I am cooking, I always peel my potatoes ahead of time and cover them with water and put them on the back of the stove with a cover on top. I do the same with my squash, if I am cooking it on top of the stove.

I dice up my onions and celery for the stuffing, and chop up the nuts for the stuffed celery ahead of time.. Anything I can do ahead, I do, so I am not doing everything at the last minute...

It really makes a difference!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:14 pm

So so true Linda, anything that can be made ahead, do it. For my dressing I cut up all the celery, onion, mushrooms and package in a ziplock. I also make my spice cake ahead, my pie is done 2 days ahead, even mashed spuds made the night before.

Anything to make life easier right? Just plan ahead and make a timeline so you know what has to be done. And that is just for Thanksgiving.

But I apply the same method for any holiday. Even a simple dinner party. Plan ahead, that way, you can have some fun and enjoy your guests which is the most important part.

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 am

Great tips, I am a planner. Most of my work is done the day before. Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen while everyone is having fun? Even though it will just be DH and myself this year, I will still do everything in advance. T'giving will be sitting outside in the sunshine with a cocktail while the turkey smokes :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 am

Denise wrote:Great tips, I am a planner. Most of my work is done the day before. Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen while everyone is having fun? Even though it will just be DH and myself this year, I will still do everything in advance. T'giving will be sitting outside in the sunshine with a cocktail while the turkey smokes :lol:
Thx
I plan too, We always sat outside on the pool deck, while my ex entertained. Football was on, cocktails poured and usually Mom would help me finish up. But even when it was chilly, I did the fire pit and we still enjoyed outside. I had a big fireplace inside and always had a fire going, even if it was just one of those duraflame logs ... atmosphere. I love having the house all open and relax.
I never did a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving, but I have done whole turkey breasts before and they are wonderful. A whole Turkey is one of the few things I haven't smoked before.

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:54 am

It's really easy and we don't completely smoke it on the smoker, that would be an all day commitment and T'giving for us is about having fun. We smoke it about 5 hours, enough to get a good smoke on it and then stuff it and finish it in the oven. The stuffing gets a lovely smoky taste. SO GOOD! I'm quite excited, I LOVE Thanksgiving! Maybe because I was born the day before Thanksgiving! :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:39 am

I might try that with a small turkey, I have a 10lb in the freezer. I have a great little smoke box I could load up and cook it slow with a water bath on the side (since I would be using my reg grill and then finish in the oven. That sounds like it would work good. It would get a lot of smoke flavor to start with. I have done pork ribs that way and they were very smoky. Thx for the tip,