Labor Day Weekend

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

LindasBusyKitchen

Labor Day Weekend

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 am

What's everyone planning for the upcoming weekend to celebrate the end of summer?

DianaCooks

Re: Labor Day Weekend

Post by DianaCooks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 am

Our friends just put in a pool so we are all going over to their house and spending the day grilling and swimming, it should be a fun day! :)

brandy_girl

Post by brandy_girl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am

nothing planned yet, unless something comes up were just lazing around the house and grilling.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:02 pm

In FL it is summer 3/4 of the year it seems. There is NO summer end. The kids go back to school early Aug, so Labor Day doesn't mean much down here - except for the vacationers.

My birthday is the 30th, so my friends and I usually do a BBQ right around that date. Tradition ... a seafood boil. We have only missed a couple of years.

Basically a low country boil; but ours consist of, potatoes, onions, lemon, sausage, artichokes, corn, crab, clams, mussels, and shrimp - sometimes we will throw a lobster or 2 on (depends on price). There is usually about 15-20 of us, so we all pitch in.

We normally will go out fishing 1 day, have a cookout that night with our 'catch of the day.'
Then Labor Day, we have the boil at a friends out East, just a few miles from me. He lives on a farm/ranch, has a lake to fish for the kids, horses, ATV's, and a pool. We just hang out, BBQ, relax and have the cookout that night. The guys usually do dogs and sausages, chips, and pickles for lunch. Then we all go home, clean up; then come back around 6 and start the boil.

We throw everything on a big table lined with newspaper and just drain the pot and pour. We offer cocktail sauce, lemon butter sauce, lemon aioli, and a spice blend.

Along with the boil is always grilled bread; a veggie platter with a couple of dips, and salad. Dessert is the same year after year - classic S'mores; and usually someone brings brownies or cookies.

Plenty of beer, margaritas and usually mojitos.
Plastic and paper everything; very simple and relaxing.

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Wow, that's a bit over 3 weeks away yet. I have no idea! :?

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Grilling is good and laying around the pool isn't too bad either :) ... I am a planner so I like to plan things ahead of time so I know what I need to do to get ready. What to buy etc.

Kim, your boil sounds wonderful.. I have never had a crab boil or seafood boil. I bet it is alot like our clam bake up here, only in a pot with water instead of steamed in seaweed in a pit... Sounds like you will have a great eating experience and loads of food for all...

We are going to have lobsters and clams here where I live... One of the guys that lives here has a turkey fryer, so we are going to use that to boil the water and throw all the lobsters and clams in... We will have steamed corn on the cob and Kitten's coleslaw for sides, as everyone here LOVES it and begs me to make it every time we eat out together... I am going to make a fresh strawberry cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting for dessert, and keep it in the fridge until right before serving time... It has been so hot here in NH and the humidity has been horrible this summer.. And with the dew point up it makes it terrible for anyone with a breathing problem like I have... Hopefully it will cool off a little so I can enjoy my lobster without sweating too much lol..

It will be a relaxing day for everyone I hope!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Linda, sounds good.
Same, we use our turkey fryer, 2 of them.
onions, potatoes and lemon first
then corn
then sausage
Cooks 10 minutes
----
Then add the lobster, crab, baby chokes
top with clams, mussels and crab and cook another 10
----
Finish with shrimp and cook another 5.
Done
----
The broth is just beer, tons of water and Old Bay.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, very similar to a clam bake.

And yes Linda, I have to plan too. I want to know, and what I need to do.
It is always hot here unfortunately. I know lots of places up north have just been horribly HOT. Much hotter than us.
I hope it cools off for you.

Sounds like a good time. How can you go wrong with lobster and clams.
We are very relaxed and low key which is most important. Half will be in the pool. Some cooking, some riding horses, and some fishing.

But as soon as the pot goes on the table, which takes 2 strong guys ... everyone comes running. NO silverware. Hands on. Like a feeding frenzy LOL

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:34 am

Sounds good to me :) I love getting together with family and friends. Nothing better in my book!

LynneMarie

Post by LynneMarie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am

Unless things change by the long weekend it's just my immediate family we are all having dinner together sort of a quiet weekend nothing special planned

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Up here in NH Labor Day Weekend is the last weekend that the stores and shops at the beach are open, and it is when the weather starts cooling off, so everyone is scrambling to cram everything fun in before the weather gets too cold. Lots of people cook out and have family gatherings and do their last fun trips to the lake and ocean.

For me it's kind of a sad time because it means winter will be only a few months away... and it means the end of summer, which is my favorite time of year, so I usually try to do something really fun to keep up my spirits!

Anyone else doing anything fun???