Corned Beef and Cabbage vs New England Boiled Dinner

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

Kchurchill5

Corned Beef and Cabbage vs New England Boiled Dinner

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:49 pm

So ... what't the difference, or is there? Are they the same?

Typically ... A New England Boiled Dinner is made with a smoked picnic ham/shoulder with a mix of cabbage, potato, white turnip, rutabaga, carrot, onion, and parsnips.

Now ... Make a beef (or corned beef) and it is most typically known as Corned Beef and Cabbage. Made with a mix of corned beef, potatoes, onions, carrots and cabbage.

A similar dinner in Newfoundland is called a Jiggs Dinner. It is a smoked shoulder dinner, which also includes cabbages and root vegetables cooked in a similar method.

Also, some NE states used to use a beef roast.

So, is there really a difference, or is it just regional variations?

My Mom would never have called CBC a Boiled Dinner. A New England Boiled Dinner was always a picnic ham, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas. Although, she left out turnips for Dad. Never any horseradish sauce. A creamy mustard sauce; and it was cooked it just a mix of chicken broth and water, simple seasoning. Bay leaf, some dried herbs and pepper grounds.

Corned Beef And Cabbage was corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, onion and carrots. It was cooked in a mix of chicken broth and beer. It had a bay leaf, also some cloves, again fresh herbs, and then always served with a creamy horseradish sauce. I always serve both a mustard sauce and horseradish (in case some don't like horseradish).

Also, everything was boiled together. Not done in the oven. The cabbage was not done separately. A one pot wonder.
------------------------------------------

So, what do you call yours?
And, What vegetables do you use?

Most importantly ... Do make it other than St. Patty's Day?

I make mine about 3x per year; and I should make it more.

invictus

Re: Corned Beef and Cabbage vs New England Boiled Dinner

Post by invictus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Oh goodness my reply went poof. :(

I'd say that it is symantics with slight regional variations.

I really hate boiled vegetables of any sort so I don't make boils ever. It's been years since I've had a traditional corned beef and cabbage meal on St. Paddy's Day. This year I did find a recipe for corned beef tacos with cabbage slaw and a Guinness dipping sauce that I will be trying. I'm quite excited about it. Different twist on traditional ingredients that I would have never come up with myself.

Papa_D

Post by Papa_D » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm

It's called Corned Beef and Cabbage at my house and every year I make my my version
Papa_d's Corned Beef and Cabbage besides St' Paddy's Day I will make it a couple of times throughout the year if I happen to find a nice 5 + pound corned beef.
Last edited by Papa_D on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I admit, I make it during the year and sometimes will use a picnic ham ... and I call it NE Boiled Dinner. Even though it is basically the same. Crazy isn't it.

Cilla

Post by Cilla » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

I roast my Corned Beef and Cabbage in my Turkey roaster on the rack with a can of chicken broth and put the lid on. I add the veggies tossed with EVVO and seasoning for the last hour of roasting and remove lid so the veggies and beef get a nice browning/caramelizing.

There is no boiling in my house, I steam or roast everything. :)

Cilla

Post by Cilla » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I admit, I make it during the year and sometimes will use a picnic ham ... and I call it NE Boiled Dinner. Even though it is basically the same. Crazy isn't it.
I have never considered a picnic ham as a corned beef. Two completely different meats. For one a picnic ham is Pork, a "corned" beef is a long-term preservation of a piece of beef brined with spices. I don't see any resemblance other than the cooking method for the final product. Maybe up where I live a "picnic" ham is different than down south. Up here a "picnic" ham is a very cheap, smoked, salty, fatty roast of the pig.

Up here a "picnic" ham is only used for a base for beans.

Cilla

Post by Cilla » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Cilla wrote:
Kchurchill5 wrote:I admit, I make it during the year and sometimes will use a picnic ham ... and I call it NE Boiled Dinner. Even though it is basically the same. Crazy isn't it.
I have never considered a picnic ham as a corned beef. Two completely different meats. For one a picnic ham is Pork, a "corned" beef is a long-term preservation of a piece of beef brined with spices. I don't see any resemblance other than the cooking method for the final product. Maybe up where I live a "picnic" ham is different than down south. Up here a "picnic" ham is a very cheap, smoked, salty, fatty shoulder roast of the pig.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-picnic-ham.htm

Up here a "picnic" ham is used for a base for beans or a sweet, savory long cooking piece of pork.