How Do You Celebrate St Patrick's Day?

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

LindasBusyKitchen

How Do You Celebrate St Patrick's Day?

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 am

What is your favorite way to celebrate St Patrick's Day? Do you do anything special, or cook something special? How is St Patrick's Day celebrated where you live?

I always wear green to work, and usually bake special cookies to bring into work on that day. I also cook a "Green" meal, that is Irish themed.

How do you celebrate???

HeatherFeather

Re: How Do You Celebrate St Patrick's Day?

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:47 am

I make a special meal (Glazed Spiced Corned Beef, mashed parsnips & carrots, soda bread (my grandma's recipe), either Irish Cream Cake or Grasshopper mini cheesecakes for dessert). I will try to get my recipes posted here this year after I get new photos taken of them all.

I don't do the beer thing at all - I just take the day to enjoy Irish foods and honor my family.

I have a tiny leprechaun teddy bear figurine that I got when my daughter was a very little girl. We always hide the leprechaun and dd tries to find it. That was always her favorite thing to do as a kid on St Patrick's Day. She is too old to go hunt for it now, but she still demands to see that bear out on the table.

I also have a Yankee Candle that is "shamrock" scented that I burn and I decorate the table with my Irish themed stuff.

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:59 am

My DH LOVES St Pat's day, so we always have a small party here at home or out somewhere. We'll be missing the huge party in Savannah because I didn't think to make reservations, kicking myself over that one. Hopefully we'll make it next year. At any rate - I always make these appetizers as I don't like corned beef unless it's finely shaved. We love these, they are delicious.

Mini Reubens

½ lb corned beef , thinly sliced
½ lb swiss cheese , shredded
1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut
mayonnaise - I think it's about 1/2 cup
3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 package miniature party rye rounds
dijon mustard

Directions:

1 Dice corned beef.
2 Mix shredded cheese with beef.
3 Drain sauerkraut well.
4 Dice and add to cheese/beef mixture.
5 Add enough mayo to moisten the cheese mixture.
6 Add horseradish.
7 Spread a think layer of mustard on each slice of party rye bread (only on one side of the bread).
8 Add a layer of the cheese corned beef mixture.
9 Place mini-reubens on a cookie sheet.
10 Put under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Those sound great Denise... Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Heather, your dinner sounds divine... I would love for you to post them... I love the idea of the little bear... Something very different and a tradition that I am sure your daughter will always treasure... I never heard of the scent for your candle... I will have to check that out the next time I go to Yankee Candle! Thank you for sharing your celebration with us!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 pm

LindasBusyKitchen wrote:Heather, your dinner sounds divine... I would love for you to post them... I love the idea of the little bear... Something very different and a tradition that I am sure your daughter will always treasure... I never heard of the scent for your candle... I will have to check that out the next time I go to Yankee Candle! Thank you for sharing your celebration with us!
I do have the recipes posted over at the old Zaar site in my recipes, including a posted St Patrick's Day menu if there are any you wanted before I get around to posting here. All are my own recipes posted under my name except the Irish Cream Cake, which is posted by chia over there.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Thank you for letting me know... But I think I will wait for you to post them here.... The more the merrier I say :) I know what you mean about making time for posting... It seems like it takes me forever to post recipes here, but it's a slow process and I just do it when I have the time... I hope yours come here soon...

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Bill and I usually celebrate over a pint or portion thereof.
Irish food. I love soda bread. And for dinner, any pub food is good. Mostly sandwiches, as I don't often do a braised brisket, unless the meat is going to sandwiches. I am avoiding the cottage pies because I am on the run from potatoes. I know bread has carbs too, it's easier for me to dodge potatoes than bread. Low carb beer, that's just nasty. And since I don't drink very much or often, or even all of the glass, I insist on a proper brew.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am

It's getting near that time to start thinking of St. Patrick's Day... I actually had a corned beef sandwich at my sister's house yesterday and it was delicious, with loads of mustard and a little butter on one side of the bread. I know, I know, butter on a sandwich??? Yep, on corned beef and bologna sandwiches, and I even add chips to my bologna sandwiches layered thick with loads of mustard. Nice and crunchy and delish! If you are interested in cooking for St. Patty's Day, just put in Irish in the search engine and it will pull up a bunch of them for you to try!

Here are some more to tickle your tastebuds!

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/corned ... inner-3741
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/corned ... irish-4775
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/corned ... ck-pot-436
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/saraso ... bbage-4916
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/corned ... inner-4829
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/papa-d ... abbage-992

Top O' The Mornin To Ya!

Linda

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

When I was younger, I used to visit the bars for green beer and such....

Now, I usually just make a batch of cookies and decorate. ;)