Thursday, February 2nd ~ Happy Ground Hog Day

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

Kchurchill5

Thursday, February 2nd ~ Happy Ground Hog Day

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Groundhog Day February 2, 2012

Groundhog Day 2012 will be here soon! Phil will leave his burrow at 7:20 February 2nd at Gobblers Knob in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania he will observe the weather conditions and look for his shadow he will then make his prediction for the remainder of winter. We have many great events this year to help celebrate Phils Prognostication!

Here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the holiday:

~ Yes! Punxsutawney Phil is the only true weather forecasting groundhog. The others are just impostors.
~ How often is Phil's prediction correct? 100% of the time, of course!
~ How many "Phils" have there been over the years? There has only been one Punxsutawney Phil. He has been making predictions for over 125 years!
~ Punxsutawney Phil gets his longevity from drinking the "elixir of life," a secret recipe. Phil takes one sip every summer at the Groundhog Picnic and it magically gives him seven more years of life.
~ On February 2, Phil comes out of his burrow on Gobbler's Knob - in front of thousands of followers from all over the world - to predict the weather for the rest of winter.
~ According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring.
~ No! Phil's forecasts are not made in advance by the Inner Circle. After Phil emerges from his burrow on February 2, he speaks to the Groundhog Club president in "Groundhogese"(a language only understood by the current president of the Inner Circle). His proclamation is then translated for the world.
~ The celebration of Groundhog Day began with Pennsylvania's earliest settlers. They brought with them the legend of Candlemas Day, which states, "For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day, so far will the snow swirl in May..."
~ Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800s. The first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made on February 2, 1887.
~ So the story goes, Punxsutawney Phil was named after King Phillip. Prior to being called Phil, he was called Br'er Groundhog.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Eating Groundhog:

Like most wild animals, the rules for eating game applies to groundhogs - drain the blood, removed the entrails and wipe the body cavity as clean as you can. Although there is some debate among backwoodsmen, hanging the meat for 48 hours is recommended. It is at that time they are ready to the skinned and cooked.
If caught just before winter hibernation, there is usually an insulating fat layer under the skin. Remove the excess fat. Also be sure to remove the 7 to 9 "kernels" (scent glands) in the small of the back and under the forearms. They are distinctive and easy to find.

Although it does not require soaking, many game cooks prefer an overnight soaking in salt water to tenderize it. If the animal appears to be older, parboiling will soften it up. The meat is dark. It is not as ‘gamy’ as some animals. When properly prepared it has a mild flavor and can be quite tender. As a rule of thumb, any recipe calling for rabbit or chicken can be used for cooking groundhog.

The following are a bunch of groundhog recipes we found. We cannot attest to their respective epicurean level of excellence, but if you’re eating groundhog, we doubt you’re looking for a four star recipe or a wait person named Nigel.

Oh, one last word, if you are planning on hunting this big game animal yourself, we suggest you use a .22 caliper rifle. Shotguns may be easier, but they make for unpleasant roughage when eating. Also aim for the head.

Now, I didn't know groundhog was edible, but I found these quite interesting. And yes ... these are actual recipes ... I think I'll pass!

~ Fricasseed Ground Hog
~ Trailer Park Ground Hog
~ Groundhog Patties
~ Groundhog Meat Patties with Tomato Sauce
~ Country Fried Groundhog
~ Oriental Groundhog

HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY EVERYONE!

LindasBusyKitchen

Re: Thursday, February 2nd ~ Happy Ground Hog Day

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:10 am

When my son was about 14 he saw a ground hog out in our back yard, and got his bow and arrow and shot the ground hog. He brought it to the Chinese restaurant down the street and sold it to them for $5.00. So you never know, you may have had ground hog and not known it :o :o

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Ewee.

You know, I have had rabbit, different game, elk, ostrich, different seafoods, etc.

But something about eating Phil just didn't sound right. But it is actually quite wildly ate which I didn't realize.

I stick with chicken thank you!

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:Ewee.

You know, I have had rabbit, different game, elk, ostrich, different seafoods, etc.

But something about eating Phil just didn't sound right. But it is actually quite wildly ate which I didn't realize.

Yeah, I have had alligator, bison, deer, caribou, bear, moose, frogs legs, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, partridge, turtle, but ground hog? Nah, probably not, unless you snuck it in and I didn't know it :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:36 pm

LindasBusyKitchen wrote:
Kchurchill5 wrote:Ewee.

Yeah, I have had alligator, bison, deer, caribou, bear, moose, frogs legs, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, partridge, turtle, but ground hog? Nah, probably not, unless you snuck it in and I didn't know it :lol:
Same here ... I'm just not sure I would want to eat Phil, LOL But who knows.