Chinese New Year Monday

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

HeatherFeather

Chinese New Year Monday

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Year of the Dragon time - we celebrated early by going out for Chinese Dimsum. Then we stopped by the Asian market and picked up a cute golden dragon filled with CNY candies as well as a box of almond cookies from the Asian bakery.

We are going to watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon while eating our leftovers tomorrow.

Is anyone else celebrating?

HeatherFeather

Re: Chinese New Year Monday

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:39 am

Is no one else celebrating? Chinese New Year this year is from Jan 23-Feb 10. I am not Chinese, but after living in London where CNY is a huge celebration, I got hooked on the fun of it all.

Typically you see a lot of red and gold decorations, an animal theme of the year (this year it is the Dragon). There are all sorts of special candies in the Asian markets this time of year and special cookies like pineapple tarts, almond cookies, peanut cookies, etc.

My daughter and I like to go out to eat Chinese food at an authentic restaurant and I also like to pick up some of the goodies. I bought an adorable golden dragon this year filled with candies. The dragon lights up and plays music too. They make a similar item every year - it is made of plastic and isn't expensive, just a fun treat.

I am hoping to get some cookies made this year as well.

LindasBusyKitchen

Re: Chinese New Year Monday

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

When I lived in NC and ran a singles group and a dining out group, I had an event where we went out for Dim Sum and it was so much fun. We had about 20 of us and everyone loved getting their favorite Dim Sum off the carts that came around. It can get rather expensive, as each little dish is usually 4.00 each or more and you don't get a whole lot, but it was such a fun time trying lots of different dishes and sharing with those around us who wanted to, so we could try out lots of different things while we were there... I hope you enjoyed your Dim Sum and cookies!