How Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day?

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

LindasBusyKitchen

Re: How Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day?

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:When I was married, I always made a romantic dinner, candles, wine, usually a fire, we rented a good movie and just chilled. A couple of times we had another couple or two over and that was fine. Divorced for many years my Mom and Dad when they were alive we would have a fun dinner. Now, it is just my son and I and he cares less and hardly remembers anything other than his birthday. So NO, I don't get anything. I do have a good friend who always remembers me and sends a card, he is a great friend.

Last year I made valentines treats (red velvet cup cakes) for a local nursing home, they were thrilled.

My cats get fresh tunafish, grilled and some kitty milk to enjoy, fresh catnip in their toys too. And if my neighbor is nice, I may take something over for him.

I do get a card and present for my son as well.
Your son sounds like mine... Everything is me me me... I used to get them something for Valentine's Day and give them a card to let him know I was thinking about them, but now that they're older they don't seem to care, so I stopped with them and now do for the little ones.... They appreciate it and it thrills me to see their little faces when they get their stuff...

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:33 am

I am making ice cream sandwiches for my son for Valentines Day. He loves them for a snack at night.

So I found a great simple chocolate cookie that I will make heart shaped. Then my filling, I cheat ... I use a really good quality vanilla ice cream, but I will add some mini chocolate chips, nuts, and a little liquor for some flavor. Haven't decided exactly yet, but that is the plan. He will get a little bag too of some of his favorite things.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 am

I used to always get my daughter a new movie or CD and some hair accessories or something plus a small candy box heart of chocolate. Now I just get her some hair accessories & makeup, no movie.

I sometimes feel festive and bake something for her for Valentine's, but she doesn't appreciate it as much now, so I don't always bother. I do usually pick up some holiday themed food if I see anything I feel like getting.
Last edited by HeatherFeather on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:22 am

Kchurchill5 wrote:I am making ice cream sandwiches for my son for Valentines Day. He loves them for a snack at night.

So I found a great simple chocolate cookie that I will make heart shaped. Then my filling, I cheat ... I use a really good quality vanilla ice cream, but I will add some mini chocolate chips, nuts, and a little liquor for some flavor. Haven't decided exactly yet, but that is the plan. He will get a little bag too of some of his favorite things.
I am sure he will like those! Would have never thought of adding liquor. I am curious as to what kind you might add?

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:25 am

HeatherFeather wrote:I used to always get my daughter a new movie or CD and some hair accessories or something plus a small candy box heart of chocolate. Now I just get her some hair & makeup, no movie.

I sometimes feel festive and bake something for her for Valentine's, but she doesn't appreciate it as much now, so I don't always bother. I do usually pick up some holiday themed food if I see anything I feel like getting.
I am sure she loves whatever you get or make her... Sometimes they just don't show it as much as they did when they were younger... I wish my mother had baked especially for me lol.... I was lucky I got a choice for my cake when it was my birthday! I had 2 sisters and an older brother fighting over cookies or who was going to get the last piece of cake.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:34 am

LindasBusyKitchen wrote:
Kchurchill5 wrote:I am making ice cream sandwiches for my son for Valentines Day. He loves them for a snack at night.

I am sure he will like those! Would have never thought of adding liquor. I am curious as to what kind you might add?
Kaluha, Amaretto and Grand manier all work well. Also Baileys I have used.

I make flavored ice creams all the time. I did have a small ice cream maker, but I gave it to a good friend because she has kids, so she uses it all the time. I only used it now and then. So I cheat and make flavored ice creams all the time using a base flavor and adding ed nuts, coconut, dried fruits, liquor and you can really make a delicious unique dessert.

I used a vanilla and added toasted coconut, coconut rum, toasted macadamian nuts, and dried mango and pineapple. Makes a delicious dessert and nothing else like it.

Chocolate ice creaerm with Girl Scout Mint Chocolate Wafer Cookies crushed up, also mini chocolate chips and mint liquor.

Try cherry ice cream and add toasted almonds with cherry kirsch liquor.

Chocolate ice cream with dried cherries, almonds, cherry kirsch, and chocolate liquor are really good with chocolate syrup.

Those are some of my favorites. I mix them all up and then they can be added to your favorite cookies and made into sandwiches. Flavor combinations are endless but a lot of fun to make.

I stick more with the liquors, but some of the flavored rums and vodkas also work well

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Love your idea for flavoured ice creams Kc.

Well V-day for me and my bf is nothing too fancy. He makes more of a big deal about it than I do and usually gets me flowers when I specifically tell him weeks ahead of time no flowers please. All I ever want is chocolate and I usually show him which to buy me - I love the Guylian seashells which are pretty expensive so I only let him buy me that on special occasions (like V-day or my bday) and this year I want a bottle of red wine to enjoy with him. We don't do a special meal cause I always enjoy his company and feel the love, not just on V-day. That said, I do love to bake and make V-day themed goodies :lol:.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Roxanne wrote:Love your idea for flavoured ice creams Kc.

Well V-day for me and my bf is nothing too fancy. He makes more of a big deal about it than I do and usually gets me flowers when I specifically tell him weeks ahead of time no flowers please. All I ever want is chocolate and I usually show him which to buy me - I love the Guylian seashells which are pretty expensive so I only let him buy me that on special occasions (like V-day or my bday) and this year I want a bottle of red wine to enjoy with him. We don't do a special meal cause I always enjoy his company and feel the love, not just on V-day. That said, I do love to bake and make V-day themed goodies :lol:.
Well then my dear, check out the dessert recipes I posted.. Some are Valentine themed..

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Cool, I will do that.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 am

I posted 3 fondue recipes... One for a cheese fondue for dipping bread and veggies as an appetizer fondue, Then a broth fondue to dip meats, chicken, seafood and veggies in as the main dish fondue, and then a chocolate fondue to dip fruits, marshmallows, cake squares etc in, as a dessert fondue.

It's a romantic way to celebrate a special Valentine's day and you can make an evening of it with your honey or family, sitting around and dipping till your hearts content... It can take 2-3 hrs, which lends to lots of great conversation and special time together! What better way to spend Valentine's Day???