Ham, Turkey and all those Holiday Leftovers

Moderators: Kchurchill5, LindasBusyKitchen

Kchurchill5

Ham, Turkey and all those Holiday Leftovers

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 am

What to do with all that Ham or Turkey or any other Leftovers?

Give us your best leftovers. Personally, I love turkey and ham, and if you watch the sales ... it can be a very cost saving investment. Now, I got turkey for 39 cents/lb after Thanksgiving, but just watch the sales. Even 69 or 79 per lb is not bad when you consider how many meals you can get out of 1 turkey. And the same with ham - Think about all the other ideas and meals you can create.

I just used about a 18.00 dollar ham for Christmas Day. Granted it was just me for dinner, but I also packaged up some for my son. Had my neighbor over for a meal. Made ham salad and a plain sandwich for myself and for my neighbor. I just bagged up 3 bags, plus a ham bone and have ham for a ham and onion pie tonight. And the soup, it will make 8 bowls. That is a heck of a lot of meals for 1 ham. And the same with turkey, but even less expensive.

Now, don't forget stuffing, potatoes, salad, all those veggies; and don't forget soups, appetizers, cheese platters, crackers, etc ... The list is endless.

So ... what are your favorites?

There have been many posts asking about leftovers, but I thought I would start one here, as we will all have leftovers from New Year Eve as well.

I not going to post any exact recipes right now, but just throw out a few ideas. Then we can start getting more specific. Check out all the great recipes here on recipezazz for all of your holiday leftovers.

How about ...

HAM
Good ole' mac and cheese with ham
Baked ham spaghetti
Fritattas, quiches and omlettes
Ham pasta casserole with broccoli and cheese
Scalloped potatoes with ham
Pizza with ham, green peppers and onions
Pasta with peas and ham in a fontina cheese sauce
Bisquick ham and mushroom pie
Of course ... Ham and cheese sandwiches
Ham salad
Reheated with a raisin sauce or pan fried with a spicy glaze
Then ... how could we forget lentil, bean or pea soups and many others
And, don't forget that ham freezes so well, and this is a great way to package your leftovers up for dinner another day.

And don't forget ... everyone knows sausage and gravy with biscuits. Try it with ham, a little cayenne or red pepper, pimentos and onion in the sauce and absolutely delicious. Add a poached egg and what a fantastic breakfast.

TURKEY
Creamed turkey
Turkey and wild rice casserole
Pot pies
Calzones with peppers and onions, cheese of course
The famous turkey, cranberry and cheese grilled sandwich
Creamed turkey and wild rice soup
Turkey and noodle soup or turkey and vegetable soup
Hot turkey sandwiches
Turkey tettrazzini
Anything that is pasta with chicken you can substitute turkey
Turkey salad for sandwiches
And ... don't forget to just reheat with some gravy or broth and serve with your favorite sides. You can have that Thanksgiving meal anytime of the week.
But turkey is also great in a taco or burrito where you might use chicken
So freeze away, turkey also freezes very well.

SIDES
Mashed potatoes ... save for croquettes or potatoes cakes, great to use with other
roasted veggies mixed up with a little baking mix and pan fried, delicious
They can also be used in a shephards pie, or other casserole dishes
Potatoes and vegetables can be used in ravioli which is a great way to use leftovers
Stuffing ... there are lots of recipes for Leftover Turkey soup that includes
stuffing, and let me tell you - it is delicious
Sweet potatoes, of course, I mentioned ravioli; or my favorite - soup
The always leftover CRANBERRY sauce ... Make a vinaigrette, a spicy sauce with
chipotles for a dip, sweetened it with brown sugar and ginger for a dipping sauce
for fried chicken fingers or shrimp

And try this recipe ... just added. For that sometimes hated canned jellied cranberry ... slice away.

Take thick slices of cranberry and spread on room temperature herb goat cheese, then dip each slice in fine chopped walnuts. Serve over a bed a lightly dressed salad greens. I like to use a simple citrus vinaigrette. The greens are wonderful tossed with a little fennel and red onion. It is a delicious salad and a great way to use up that leftover cranberry

How about the ever so popular "veggie" platter, Never - ever - throw them out. Make a simple soup with those leftovers, or blanch them and freeze.
-------------------------------------------------------

Ok, there are a few ideas for you. Post your favorites or any ideas for those famous Holiday leftovers. Andy don't forget all the other popular dishes I didn't even get too - as well as the upcoming New Years Eve. Include desserts, appetizers, dips, breads, etc.

chattes

Re: Ham, Turkey and all those Holiday Leftovers

Post by chattes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Some really fantastic ideas! Many of them I hadn't really thought of. Thank you!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Hummus is great spread on pizza crust or pita, topped with olives, tomatoes, spinach and mozarella. Bake for a quick pizza. Or add some of that ham or turkey for a heartier dish.

Try mixing hummus with black olives, roasted red peppers and roasted onions for a nice spread on a hoagie.

Guacamole is great on burgers, even hot dogs. Perfect in burritos, tacos and even over omlettes for breakfast.

So, never get rid of that dip.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm

I love making omelets and quiche with leftover ham, along with cheese, onions and mushrooms.

Ham and potato chowder is great with an onion and cream style corn thrown in.

I love hot turkey and stuffing sandwiches with gravy on top....

Sandwiches are great with turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce stacked high on your favorite bread.

Roll ups using tortilla wraps are great using both ham and turkey with all your favorite veggies...

Just a few ideas...