Unexpected Quests

Moderators: Kchurchill5, LindasBusyKitchen

Kchurchill5

Unexpected Quests

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:07 am

The Unexpected Guests. We have all had them, and even though we love to have them ... Boy, can they really MESS up our plans.

Whether or not you work, or just busy with daily activities, getting ready for the holidays is a lot of work - and the last thing we need are unexpected guests. It may be dinner, or just drinks and appetizers; or maybe just stopping by to visit. Regardless, it can be as much fun as it can be frustrating.

A few Helpful Tips
During the Holidays, a few pantry / staple items to keep on hand make for a less stressful time. These may not all be my favorites, but the idea is to have something you can put together in just minutes.

Nuts: A bag or can of mixed nuts is perfect.

Olives
: 2-3 jars of a selection of olives

The OH SO FAMOUS Chex Mix: Now, I am not the biggest fan, however it is well liked by many and there never seems to be anything left.

Crackers: A mix of crackers boxed or bagged, breadsticks, crackers, melba toast are great to snack on and go great with cheese.

Cheese: A nice cheese spread and a few other selections are great to have. If you don't use them for those unexpected guests, you can certainly freeze or use in your daily cooking.

Spinach Dip: And old classic, but with just a few ingredients, you can throw it together in just minutes. The frozen spinach can be thawed in the microwave, sour cream, mayo and a pkg'd seasoning mix. Serve with crackers and, I know many people will appreciate it.

How about Rotel and Velveeta: You can't tell me that most people do not like that. Yeah it is very Christmas like, but, I think any guest would appreciate it.

Brie: I found a brie, all wrapped with a topping ready to go in the oven at Sams Club. I bought it ... just in case and have already used it. But I know many stores have similar items.

Wine and Alcoholic Beverages and Spirits: Have a bit extra on hand: I'm sure during the holidays you will go through it. But, it is nice to have a few beers in the refrigerator, or a bottle of vodka in the freezer or a couple bottles of wine.

Dinner: What is they decide to stay for dinner?

Pasta. Having a simple spaghetti or penne on hand is perfect. If you have some sauce in the freezer you can throw together dinner. If you have shrimp, you can make an elegant shrimp spaghetti; or add some sausage for a quick dinner. Finish with a salad and some rolls.

I also love to keep chicken breasts already marinated in the freezer cut in cubes. They can usually thaw out in about 30 minutes while your guests relax with some appetizers. Throw together some salad ingredients, rice and add some tomatoes, onions, mushrooms or any of your favorite vegetables to the chicken and make skewers, inside or outside grill.

Or burgers. I often make a few in advance to keep on hand, even just for me. Take them out and serve with some baked oven fries, or just a salad. Dinner doesn't have to be fancy, just a good time to catch up with your friends.

And most important, if they are last minute and unexpected, have them help out in the kitchen. Most people would not mind at all.

Finally, don't be afraid of store bought items. I love to cook from scratch, but face it ... sometimes it is impossible.

Example: I had guests a few weeks ago. 6 of them, had literally 1 hour. I ran to the store and got a rotisserie chicken. I made my own apple chicken gravy; baked some cabbage, apple and onion slices in chicken broth right in the oven along side roasted potatoes which took 5 minutes to cut and then just baked them. And for an appetizer right from the grocery store, a mix of olives, peppardews, mozzarella and roasted vegetables, picked up some crostini and that was dinner.

So, don't be afraid to cheat a little now and then and take the easy way out. No one is perfect. But remember to have a few items on hand which can really make those unexpected moments a bit easier.