Easy Quick Holiday Survival Tips

Moderators: Kchurchill5, LindasBusyKitchen

Kchurchill5

Easy Quick Holiday Survival Tips

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:24 am

These are a few simple survival tips for the Holiday season

- For Holiday Parties, don't worry about pleasing everyone. You can't. If you can in advance, try to find out if there are allergies or specific food requests. Then, try to accommodate as best you can. But, at the same time ... don't kill yourself over it.

- A rule of thumb for parties; always offer a chicken/pork dish, a seafood dish, or a beef dish. And most importantly, a vegetarian dish. This way you don't have to make a special dish for your vegetarian friend, but she can still enjoy some of the dishes.

- If roasting veggies, rather than roasting them with the dish, throw a few in a separate dish and roast them too. That way, any vegetarian friends can enjoy them.

- Don't STRESS by thinking every thing has to be made from scratch and perfect. It is great if you have the time, some of us do ... but some of us don't.

- Take advantage of shortcuts. There are many store bought items you can buy and "jazz" them up by adding a few fresh ingredients.
"I made stuffing for a catering client with stove stop stuffing. (And yes, they know), I had car trouble and ran out of time. So I added some frozen blend of onions and celery, dried cranberries and nuts. Mix it all in the microwave. Put in a pan and in 3 minutes. Into the oven, and 20 minutes done. I also used stove bought spuds that night. I added horseradish, chives and heavy cream. Baked until brown on top and served with a homemade gravy. But, I did cheat and it was perfectly fine.

- So don't panic. And that perfect table ... it can be expensive. Take advantage of a home improvement store like home depot. Get some annual plants, spray clay pots with silver or gold paint; and use paper plates from a party store for a large crowd. Take the stress off of worry about all those dishes.

- Buy breads or rolls from your local store or bakery. Yes, it is great to make homemade, but don't be ashamed not to make it ... But take 5 minutes to "jazz" up the butter you serve it with. How about a cranberry butter, or a honey walnut butter to make the bread extra special.

- Appetizers ... rather than picking an appetizer than requires time - if you don't have it, pick an appetizer that requires less time to put together but still impressive.
A marinated cheese spread is nice, easy, but very impressive and unique
Marinated mushrooms or olives take literally 5-10 minutes to put together and 20 minutes to bake with very little work. And mostly store bought items. Pick items you are familiar with and easy to prepare.

- And, for you personally. COOK ahead. There is nothing more important to me. If you are cooking something in the oven for dinner ... why not make something else. Either for the next night or to freeze.

ie.e Last night I made grilled chicken for a salad. I cooked for dinner, but also 6 other pieces. Two for dinner 2 nights later; and 4 other in the freezer for another dinner. I can make a quick salad and top with sliced chicken; or I can take the frozen chicken and make a quick pot pie. But half of the work is done.

- Try cooking up potatoes in advance. Or if cooking bacon, make extra and freeze for later or for breakfast. Shrimp can be steam ahead and then chilled for on a salad or for later.

- And make soup, a great meal to have on hand for lunch or dinner and it doesn't take long, but also it is very inexpensive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I am making stuff dill pickles for a party Wed. I won't have time. So, I do have my own refrigerator pickles, but Claussen or any good dill pickle is good. I used them other times I made this. Herbed cream cheese, a knife and that is it. I used a doll rod to drill a hole through my pickles; but a knife a peeler works too. Stuff with cream cheese and refrigerate. Just cut before serving. How easy. So, I'm not cooking, just making something easy. So pick easy items.

Don't stress with being perfect ... None of us are.

Mary

Re: Easy Quick Holiday Survival Tips

Post by Mary » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks, KC. Those are great tips.