What's Everyone Doing For The Holidays?

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

LindasBusyKitchen

What's Everyone Doing For The Holidays?

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Are you traveling??? Are you staying home? Having family in? How are you celebrating the holiday season this year??? How do you celebrate Christmas Eve? Do you open presents then or wait till Christmas morning? Share your special time with us!

Mary

Re: What's Everyone Doing For The Holidays?

Post by Mary » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am

When I was young, my family always traveled to my grandparents' home for a family Christmas. Now I'm the grandparent, so my home is the gathering place for the holidays.

Christmas eve has always been a time for Christmas dinner as a family (leaving the kitchen unmanned for the main part of Christmas day other than make ahead breakfast dishes and snacks and a large pot of something comfortable and warm). As the family has grown with marriages and in-laws, Christmas dinner has moved to the weekend before so that all can plan to come and still see other families on Christmas eve.

At our house, it's usually a quiet time now, spent wrapping a few last minute gifts and planning special fun like writing clues and hiding them for a treasure hunt to find a large or unwrappable gift (like a TV or a bicycle). We always, always put out a plate with a cookie for Santa and a glass of milk and read (or recite) "The Night Before Christmas" in front of the lighted tree just before bedtime. Then it's off to bed so that Santa can come.

Christmas day starts with stockings for the "children" of all ages. Everyone has a stocking "hung by the chimney with care," although Santa is more likely to leave goodies for the young ones. They investigate stockings and see what special wish Santa left for them under the tree, while the grown ups assemble to watch with coffee, hot chocolate, and spiced apple cider to go with a buffet serve-yourself breakfast.

When the actual presents-to-each-other begins, we open one present at a time so that everyone gets to enjoy each one, and there is always laughter, ohs-and-ahs, and "let me see" or "I want one of those." Then a quick clean up of paper and ribbons precedes extended sessions of playing with everyone's "toys," trying out everyone's new gadgets, general visiting, and phone calls to those who couldn't join us to wish all a happy day/season.

The day ends with a big hearty pot of hot serve yourself chili or red beans and rice or stew with sides of cornbread or garlic bread and garnishes to customize each individual bowl -- made days ahead and heated in the time it takes to set out utensils and bowls. Everyone helps clean up, and we head for comfortable chairs to talk yet some more before hitting the bed tired and happy.

And by magic, just writing that all down puts me in the Christmas mood. Can't you just hear the bells jingling?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:03 am

Growing up I was an only child, so Mom, Dad, Gramps, Grandma and myself would go to our summer/winter home to spend our 3-4 weeks off (school break). It was in northern MI. We had tree at our home in Dearborn/Detroit MI, but also had a second tree up at our northern home. We skied, cross country, snow mobile, etc.

Dinner Xmas eve was always, potato salad, baked beans, ham and some appies. Dessert was cookies.

Presents were always Xmas eve, we skied all day on Xmas day after we looked at presents and we had a big breakfast.

Xmas day was always similar to Thanksgiving, but we tended to get tired of that and we went with a big pot of chili corn bread and then had turkey the day after Christmas.

New Years Eve was either seafood or usually a big pot roast, and New Years Day was with friends (neighbors), so basically pot luck.
---------------------------------
Then we moved to FL.

Presents still Xmas Eve
Dinner was still ham, potato salad, beans, etc.
Christmas Day was seafood with grilled filet kabobs
Although sometimes, we switched that up

Chili New Years Eve and a Thanksgiving type of dinner on New Years Day.
---------------------------------
Then married.

Christmas Eve with parents or at my house, dinner and presents the same.
Christmas Day, with my exes parents. Always traditional Thanksgiving type of food. Plus a very heavy breakfast and presents, round 2.

New years, I usually worked, so did ex. New Years day was chili with neighbors.
----------------------------------
Divorced.

Single, Son in 23, he has Xmas eve with me and opens presents.
Xmas Day, I make ham, potato salad and beans for me with leftovers
New Years Eve, usually a friends close by, don't make anything
New Years Day, still make Chili.
------------------------------------
I hate travel during the Holidays, but my family was always in town. I am sure that would be different if they lived far away.

Nope, just me and my son, a few friends and a few parties. Nothing too special. I will enjoy hopefully some nice weather and relax. Travel will come after the Holidays when it isn't so hectic.

Denise

Post by Denise » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:16 am

Staying home this year and it will be just the two of us since family is over 16 hours away. DH doesn't have vacation time here until June. We'll do our usual traditions - Cmas Eve is wine and appetizers. I like to try several new chardonnay and although we usually make a ton of different appies, without the kids and grandkids, we'll probably stick with 4 or 5. We have always opened gifts with the kids and grands on Cmas Eve, that is our big party, but with just the two of us, we'll wait until Cmas morning.

Cmas morning will be coffee and gifts, then maybe a light snack. I love to munch on one of those chicken salad sliders. Usually a Mimosa around noon, we have our big Cmas dinner - usually prime rib or beef tenderloin - around 5 pm. This year if it is nice - meaning 60 or above - I would like to grill filet mignon.

And of course, lots of playing with the new toys! :lol:

Oh, forgot DH's Crown Royal Cmas Eve with his reindeer antlers. The whole family wears Santa hats and antlers for the Cmas Eve party :lol:

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:26 am

Christmas is always weird for us. We always do a party with my mom the Sunday before, and with my dad the Sunday after. When I was in high school, we started drawing names for each house among the adults, so we only had to buy a present for the kids (up to 18 or high school graduation, whichever came last) and one other adult. Last year, we stopped even doing that, so we only buy presents for the kids. This year, since Christmas is on a Sunday, that moves mom's to the 18th and dad's to January 8th.

Actual Christmas Eve and Day aren't really all that special. Since I live with mom, we usually get each other a couple of small things for under the tree, and things for stockings. We'll have a special breakfast and dinner on Christmas Day because we should, but really they're just like any other days, and half the time I end up having to work, anyway. As far as she's concerned, once the party is over at our house, so is Christmas.

invictus

Post by invictus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:17 am

Very interesting to read about Christmas tradtions. Nice thread!

This year is not my year to have my oldest son Damian. Man, I remember my first Christmas without him, it was so hard! He's 17 this year so it has definitely gotten easier.

This year it will be my sweet husband, my 11 year old, and me. Christmas Eve we will be watching football (we are fanatics and would love to be at the game but too pricey for us this year) as our Seahawks are playing. Then we will have a yet to be undecided dinner, Christmas music, board games, and general family time. Per tradition everybody will open a pair of pajamas before bed so that we all wake up in our new threads. :)

Christmas morning stockings are first. When the kids were younger this really entertained them long enough to allow the parents to wake up on their own. Then it is hot chocolate or coffee, and I usually make an egg dish the night before so I pop it in the oven so that it is ready to eat when we are. Then one person is picked to play Santa and passes out gifts for the family to open. It is always one gift at a time, my husband and I take lots of photos, and we enjoy the opening of each and every gift. Christmas music is also playing.

After cleanup we just really enjoy each other's time. We play board games, watch Christmas movies, and cuddle up together on the couch. Then I make dinner. Traditionally it has been ham, au gratins, green beans, and yeast rolls. This year though I am making a small pork tenderloin. Partially because I wanted to do something different and partially because there will only be three of us this year.

Luckily, I am taking the week between Christmas and New Years off. My husband started a new position and doesn't have vacation time so he'll have to work. The day after Christmas at 6am my 11 year old and I will hop in the car and drive down to see my family and my older son. It's a total win/win for me to be able to do this. We will do Christmas all over again when we arrive that afternoon. More stockings, more presents, probably a ham dinner, and lots of family. I can't wait!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I have been visiting my mom for Christmas ever since I moved to FL and got divorced. She has a big gathering and most of my relatives from her side of the family are there. We have several different celebrations, so I usually stay for several days. It takes a long time to drive down to where she lives, but at least I can get there in 1 day.

We have one day where we open presents with the adults (and kids get to open some), then on Christmas morning the kids open the rest of their gifts plus everyone gets stockings. We also have another big meal and birthday party for my stepdad. We don't always do exactly the same thing for our meal. There is at least one big Christmas feast, another feast that is more like an appetizers night, and another that is out at Ben's, a great NY style Jewish deli with amazing food.

invictus

Post by invictus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 am

Heather, are there just so many people that staggering the gift opening is the best way to go, or is there another reason for that tradition?

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:07 am

Hi guys!

well nothing much for Christmas, my son will be going to his fiance's for dinner but for New Year's eve I am having a party at my home it's my turn this year to host the party!

invictus

Post by invictus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Sounds like fun Kitten!