Lighting Tips by Marg (Cayman Design)

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Bergy

Lighting Tips by Marg (Cayman Design)

Post by Bergy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:39 pm

If you have any questions or comments please post them in the regular Photo Forum and we will get back to you ASP

Lighting Tips by Marg (Cayman Designs) (Please note all the photos in lighting tips will be visible soon and the right size - temporary glitch)

Postby Bergy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm
Food Photography Lighting Tips

1. Whenever possible, it is best to use sunshine as your light source. A room with plenty of windows, outdoors on a cloudy day, or in the shade on a sunny day is best. I use my sunroom, so that I have light hitting the food from several directions.

But, you can also just set up a simple photo spot in a bright area of your home.

2. Avoid putting your plate in direct sunlight to keep from having too many shadows and harsh contrast in your photo.

3. If it is an extremely bright day, it can help to filter your sunlight through a sheer curtain, a white cloth shade, closed plantation shutters or even just some white tissue paper hung in the window. This will diffuse the light and cut down on harsh shadows in your photo.

4. When sunlight isn’t an option, using a daylight bulb in a gooseneck or clamp light is a good alternative. This is how I usually arrange my lamp.

A few hints...
- I leave my camera on the 'daylight' setting.
- Turn the bulb on about 10 minutes before you need it. When it first comes on, it is kind of dim and it needs time warm up and get bright.
- Avoid a lot of contrast between your food and plate or background color. If my food is light, and the plate or background is dark, the photos end up REALLY contrasty.
- I have started taping a piece of tissue paper to the lamp and letting it hang loosely in front of the bulb to help diffuse the light. Just be careful to not leave the lit light unattended as there is the potential for starting a fire this way!
- If you are using two lights, you might want to consider this arrangement.

5. When you only have one light source, be it window or bulb, use a reflector of some sort on the opposite side to help fill in the shadows. White poster board, aluminum foil or a mirror can work just as well as professional reflector. Here are some excellent articles on making and positioning reflectors.
-Food Bloggers Unite: How to Light Your Food Photos Like a Pro
-How to Kill a Shadow
-DIY Light Reflectors

6. You can also utilize your daylight bulb during the day to bounce light off the ceiling to get rid of unwanted shadows.

7. Some photographers prefer using a light box/tent (portable studio) to get even lighting for close-up shots. You can purchasing a light box, but making one can be a very inexpensive alternative.

8. Last, but definitely not least, when you are trying a new lighting setup, it is always best to practice a little with a plate of fruit or something similar before it is time to photograph the recipe you are trying. Placing reflectors or using a lamp can take some getting used to and being stressed about your food getting cold or your garnish wilting won't help the situation as you master the skill...trust me! :winkicon:

Bergy