WHAT'S FOR DINNER - SEPTEMBER 2014

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
Kchurchill5

WHAT'S FOR DINNER - SEPTEMBER 2014

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:51 am

It's September 1st and the end of Summer - hard to believe! Our Summer vegetables are almost done; and, the kids are back in school. This year it sure seemed like Summer flew right by me.

Well, it won't be long; and we will be carving out pumpkins and Christmas Shopping.

This time of year I always starting thinking about those Fall flavors - spices, acorn and butternut squash, apples, pears, cranberries, roast turkey, stews, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------

SO, WHAT ARE YOUR DINNER PLANS ?

Kchurchill5

Re: WHAT'S FOR DINNER - SEPTEMBER 2014

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:14 am

Morning!

I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. I was able to get some tomatoes and peppers yesterday; so, I will be doing some planting today (FL's Fall crop).

Today will be busy. Besides planting, I am smoking chickens (some for dinner), the rest for the freezer. Also, smoking salmon too, for one of the ladies tomorrow.

Dinner will be chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob, cantaloupe. Plenty of leftovers for later in the week or a sandwich for lunch.

Chicagoland_Chef_du_Jour

Post by Chicagoland_Chef_du_Jour » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi SC!

Still busy with new house stuff.

I'll make dinner soon. Just discovered I don't have bacon. I amy need to improvise and use some bacon fat & prosciutto.

Making a recipe contributed by Tasty Tidbits: Chicken with Apple, Cranberry & Bacon (with cream, wine shallots) but I see it's not listed here. So good and company worthy.

Happy Labor Day all!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 pm

I roasted tomatoes with fresh garlic, onions and basil, all mixed together. OMG the smell out of the oven, then I de-skinned them. I made a goulash out of the tomatoes. I had lots left to freeze. I roasted lots of maters today. Going to do the same tomorrow, roast tomatoes and freeze them for this winter. We have so many different types this year, just roasting and putting them all together. They are so delicious that way. Some are done italian and some just salt and pepper, some with cajun seasoning, all labeled the way I roasted them. Tomorrow is going to be with jala's as they are done.

KareninMass

Post by KareninMass » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 am

Hi - quick checking in , we were away all weekend - off the grid, so no internet for me. Happy Birthday Kim !

If I have time today - will stop by and catchup.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

Hi everyone! Late start today. I hope everyone had a nice labor day or long weekend.
Hi CC - sounds like you are pluggin along with the house.
Your dinner sounds delish.

Dis, great job with the tomatoes. Thx Karen, and welcome back; also, thx for the Bday wish.

I was busy smoking my chickens and salmon. They turned out great; and, I'm so glad I put my tarp up. Only 20% chance of rain; and, it rained twice.

Today, Lady #3: Smoked salmon - from Mom; broccoli cauliflower salad; baked sweet potato

Me: I think I'm just going to make a chicken sandwich and fruit salad.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 pm

One day with the kiddos turned into spending the night at their old house and then having the kids all day yesterday as well. I did manage to get them down to Labor Fest for a while, but we did dinner at home - the new house (penne with jar spaghetti sauce, at their request).

Today I'm not even sure what to do, since I missed leftovers/trash day. I haven't even opened the refrigerator. I know there's still grape salad, but I have no idea what to put with it. I'd be happy just eating a giant bowl of that, but mom has rules. :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Sounds like a nice weekend Felix. Dinner at home with kids is always easier; I remember that with my son - and, a couple of my friends kids/families.

Well, I hope Mom lets you know what she will eat. Tonight, just been busy all day; so, taking the easy way out. I was productive yesterday.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:25 am

Morning All!

Happy Hump Day ... been a weird week with the long weekend. Let's see ... more garden work, planting; and, inside work. No work tonight. I twisted my knee water skiing; so, a bit sore. It's wrapped pretty well - but, I still need to get stuff done.

Dinner ...

Ladies #1 and #2: Shrimp skewers w/peppers, onions, tomatoes; cheesy grits; green salad w/chipotle dressing; peach cobbler

Me: I have a pan of mac and cheese w/ham in the freezer - probably add a cracker topping; grilled romaine w/mustard balsamic vinaigrette

Easy peasy for me.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:21 am

I made the guys eat leftover goulash yesterday, so I have to cook today! I am thinking of a stir fry. I have so many veggies to use up. That might be what's for dinner, it could change though.