What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
Ninner

What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Post by Ninner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Welcome to the last Dinner Thread of 2012.

Ninner

Re: What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Post by Ninner » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:05 am

Welcome to December 2012,

Well they said we would have about 1" of snow and how wrong did they get that. By the time everyone got home it was very late so dinner was at a very close pub. Nothing wonderful but the fries were good, lol. The temp now is 25F with a breeze but it is expected to get warmer with rain tomorrow. That should take care of the snow?

Dinner tonight is the Italian restaurant which we do have a reservation for.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:16 am

Morning Nin and Everyone!

SOS here in FL, warm, sunny, breezy. Since Xmas is up; this weekend is just cleaning, a few errands, some cooking, etc.

Planning to make Rum or Bourbon Balls today. They are best if they sit at least a week before eating. I make a small box for 3 of my neighbors; as well as my co-workers. And it is one sweet dish I make for my self. Also making my 5 minute microwave hard candy (recipe to be posted).

And, my apple celery soup (recipe also to be posted).

Dinner ... what I planned last night until a friend showed up unexpectedly. So, it's back to creamy pasta with peas; ham slices; and a salad.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:46 pm

We're supposed to be 10+ degrees warmer than normal through Monday before the temperature again plummets 30+ degrees overnight. No wonder I'm sick. :roll:

I have to go in for the hockey game WAY early today (2:30 for a 7pm game) because it's Cub Scout day. Which means I have literally 142 groups to enter into the system in addition to the stuff I normally would do. Thus the extra two hours for typing. Which in turn means I have to bring food, since the only place I would have time to get any would be the pizza place, which doesn't have a handicap-accessible entrance. I can't do real steps with the scooter; its wheel base is too wide. I'm also curious how I'm going to manage the bathroom, since the handicap ones right behind the booth are just large rooms with a handrail on one side and I need one on each side to stand up without using my foot.

Anyway...I've packed a pastrami and Swiss sandwich on rye, some pomegranate-berry yogurt, cottage cheese, a peanut butter fiber bar, and a Bartlett pear. And of course the requisite packet of Emergen-C, bottle of DayQuil, and Ricolas.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:40 pm

My aunt makes rum balls too - we look forward to them each year. SO good!

We had leftovers tonight again, and I made some French Fries. My deep fryer seems to be leaking steam so I think the id is no longer locking properly - might have to throw it out. I bought it second hand so I don't feel that badly about having to replace it.

However, my washing machine leaked water all over the floor when I was off dropping dd at her friend's house. BF was asleep and hadn't noticed. The water seeped into the garage. So now I have to deal with fixing the machine right before the holidays. So much for the money set aside for that. Seems like one thing after another lately.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:04 am

Sorry Heather, its always something isn't it?

We had homemade pizza. We were going to go out to a pizza buffet, but since we are in a small town, its only "buffet" certain hours, so we decided to make our own and it was so much better of course than anything out! :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 am

Morning All!

Felix, I just talked to my friend in MI last night; it was 50, nice out ... sitting by the fire pit; but, he said the same thing. Almost 60 today (sun), but then the bottom falls out. Temps to really really drop. That is one thing I hated about MI and the weather up north.

HF, Rum/Bourbon Balls were always a classic. I think of Dad every time I make it. He loved them. Sorry to hear about the washer. Make sure to check the hoses, seals, and straps first. Mine leaked and it was a very simple $5 fix. It may not be anything to call a repair man for. BF should be able to do that for you.

Dis, yep ... pizza is the best anytime. I just got my new grill, so I can't wait to grill pizza again. I could do pizza the last couple of months on my old grill because of the bad burner; but, now I'm back to pizzas only on the grill.
-----------------------------------
Well, HAPPY SUNDAY everybody. This weekend has been pretty low key - a bunch of errands yesterday, some cooking (although I didn't get the rum balls made); I had to deal with a sprinkler problem. Today, is blah blah housework, and football of course.

Today's cooking ...

My V8 crock pot roast with potatoes (recipe to be posted). It is simply 1 diced onion, whole potatoes cut in half, V8, broth, and garlic. It's really easy. On the side, roasted carrots; and probably another small salad.
My lettuce is thriving. Salads will be every night for the next month I think :lol: :D

Leftovers will be for a hash later this week; and then into the freezer for later on.

Lady #4 to be delivered in the am:
Mac and cheese with ham, salad; her turkey leftovers to make creamed turkey with biscuits, peas and mushrooms; cream of potato and parsnip soup with roast beef salad sandwiches; also, chicken salad sandwiches; loaf of sourdough bread; frozen marinated peaches with a honey mascarpone and nut topping.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 am

Morning,

Temp 47F & raining hard. The snow is nearly gone.

Sorry I have no idea about dinner at this time. I will go to the grocery store.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:48 am

We had the most FABULOUS thunderstorm last night, for hours and hours! At times it rained so hard it sounded like there was a waterfall on my roof, and the lightning and thunder were soothing to my soul. We didn't get very many real thunderstorms over the summer, and I missed them a LOT. Not even 10am and it's already 55F, which is supposed to hold through tomorrow before the plunge.

Dinner tonight is a dilemma, Canned chicken noodle soup with crackers? Beef or chicken bouillon with toast? Maybe canned tomato soup with grilled cheese? I think I have some canned French onion soup left...that's good with toast.

I think I'm dying. And I still have absolutely NO voice.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Felix, at least I feel good, but 2 weeks and still raspy beyond raspy. It is going around.

Not fun however, when I am on the phone so much.

Feel better.
If you have any mushrooms or spinach, add that to the onion soup. I did that back in college and honestly ... it was delicious. I used to make that often when us poor students had only a coffee cup warmer or mini microwave. But, it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't hesitate having a bowl of that anytime. And of course ... plenty of oyster crackers :)

Enjoy the brief heat wave