What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
Kchurchill5

Re: What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:32 am

Morning Everyone!

Dis, check out this link. Some interesting idea. 11 pics I think with recipes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... more259653

My friend used to break them up after they were thawed and top a vegetable casserole for her kids.

You can also break them up after they thaw and press them in the bottom of a pie pan to make a potato crust for a quiche. If I remember I added just a tablespoon of flour, to hold it together. Tasted really delicious.

And this is a recipe my friend with kids, same as the one as I mentioned above made this. I stayed for dinner one night after helping her landscape and this is what she had made for her kids; chicken a few other things. I was almost afraid to eat it. Canned soup, ranch, tater tots ... not my favorite foods; but why not? It was actually delicious. She sent me the link and I saved it. Why I'm not sure ... maybe because I wanted to try it.
http://thevillagecook.com/tater-tot-casserole/

And this I have made and do recommend, I didn't get in here; but it is the same recipe. And it is really good. Check out the pic, it is as good as it looks. I think I added some seasoning and a mix of cheese.
Recipe #293657, at that food dot com place.

Hope these help.

And, chili is always a good thing when it is cold out. COLD here for FL, 62; I have more soup for lunch today. I'm afraid to go outside and let cold air in; then the heat may have to go on. I'm already in my sweats and wool socks.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 am

Felix, sounds like a good NYE for you.
Well, Sunday already. What happened to the weekend?

Cooking Today ...

I didn't eat my beer bread last night; instead 2 bowls of soup it turned out so good.

Today, crock pot chicken (recipe from another site); I don't care about the skin, I just want the meat for sandwiches and for the freezer. Not for dinner either.

Dinner, making my stuffed poblanos. I'm thinking of a cajun type of rice, shrimp, pepper jack cheese, not sure what else; maybe some tomatoes. I'll wing it. Probably a salad on the side; I'll see what a feel like when the time comes. I have home made dinner rolls too in the freezer, so plenty to choose from.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 am

I love poblano peppers - sounds great.

Not sure what we will end up having tonight - if I get to the store, then it will probably be meatloaf. If I don't go shopping today, then we might grab some Greek food from a place just down the street a bit. I love their Greek Salads. I could probably throw together a Greek style salad at home with what is lying around, but my BF will want something meaty and hot, and the Greek place makes a good lamb sandwich (they don't only make the typical Gyro sandwiches with the pressed sliced meat thing, but you can also get just normal lamb on a sandwich, nice meaty chunky pieces of meat.

I am almost out of leftovers, except for the sprouts, which will most likely get frozen for soup later. Just can't face another leftovers meal tonight.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 am

Today is Christmas at my dad's house up north about 90 minutes. For those of you not from Michigan, that translates to about 85 miles, where apparently they have about a foot of snow and it's 20 degrees colder than here. :lol:

Dinner we do appetizers, mostly. My stepmother always does frozen meatballs with sauce (she fascinates me...I have never met anyone who was absolutely incapable of cooking before), dad does his famous baked beans, my oldest sister is doing a relish tray (green and black olives, sweet and dill pickles, pepperoni and hot summer sausage sticks) and a crackers and hard cheese tray, my second-oldest sister is making whitefish pate with crackers and another batch of Sour Cream Potato Casserole, my third sister is making bacon-wrapped shrimp and stuffed mushrooms, and I'm doing Derf's Cranberry Feta Pinwheels made with my Garlic Herb Cheese Spread and using pecans instead of ham slices as everyone else has done. In addition, there will be several kinds of soda, hot tea for those who want it, plenty of well water (my personal choice...grew up on it and always gorge myself when I can get some again). For dessert my stepmother usually makes a couple of kinds of something from a box, or sometimes buys a couple of those Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 am

Felix, I love the well water. Our vacation home in Bear Lake, 45 min south of Traverscity was well water. I drank it all summer, and every weekend growing up. I never minded it. If I had friends come up and stay with me; they would NEVER drink it. I liked it.

NavyWife

Post by NavyWife » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Oh this is great to see what everyone is making! :)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:32 pm

I still havent decided what to make for dinner tonight. The last of stew went for lunch. I don't have anything defrosted either! :shock:

I was eyeing some fish. (Crappies) They defrost quickly and I was thinking of breading and frying that up and I have cabbage for some coleslaw...But thats it so far, just thinking..... :lol: I am sure my mind will change again. Might ask the family, but I bet I will get blank stares and a whatever you feel like! :x

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Evening,

Lots os snow arrived over 3 days. Mostly lake effect today but still a lot of clean up to do. Also did my New Year Eve/day grocery shopping.

Internet down for 1.5 days.

Veal sausage grilled on a bun for dinner.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:55 pm

I have meatloaf in the oven and a pot of potatoes on the stove boiling for mashed potatoes. I will have leftover Brussels Sprouts with my meatloaf instead of the mash (trying to get my carbs back under control). Nice to have the oven on to warm up the house a bit - it is still so chilly and yet no heat on yet. It has been hovering around 66 inside the house with no heat on, so we are really trying to not touch it yet.

Felix - what a nice sounding meal and holiday you have planned with your family. I hope you enjoy the trip and the meal.

I have to save how nice it is that I have an Aldi nearby - every time I shop there, I am floored by my low bill. I came out of the store with all the groceries I needed for $21, which even included a few extra splurge items they had on holiday clearance (some holiday flavored waffle mixes) and a large package of 90% lean ground beef (2 1/2 pounds approx). I wish I could do all of my shopping there - they are very small and just don't carry everything I need.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:42 pm

My sisters are LIARS! :lol:

My second-oldest sister did the whitefish pate with crackers, but instead of the sour cream potato casserole she made a seven layer salad. My third sister made neither bacon-wrapped shrimp nor stuffed mushrooms, but rather a pasta salad and some olive tapenade with crackers.

And my stepmother bought not only two Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes, but also a Mrs. Smith's frozen apple pie. :lol: Seriously...the woman CANNOT cook!

The bonus for the day was my dad. He's 78 years old, and was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 15 years ago. Two years ago he was also diagnosed with dementia that they're pretty sure is Alzheimer's. BUT. Today he was HIM! Lucid, talkative, barely using his walker in favour of his cane...and at one point he got up from the table to refill his plate at the buffet without using even the cane! That was the first time in at least five years I've seen him get his own food, much less walk unassisted. It was a FABULOUS day!! :D