What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
Ninner

Re: What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Post by Ninner » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:29 am

Morning,

Felix, I am surprised the storm hit you as it is more to the East. Temp now 21F & still snowing. The Kids shoveled before they left but it really needs to be shoveled again. I assume the plow will come & that will not be easy to shovel.

Well as Church said it is a leftover week. So much in the frig, turkey, ham, stuffed eggs which Dd made & very good. The child is learning how to cook, lol. I also have meatloaf for sandwiches. I picked up butter & milk yesterday before the storm so I am good to go. Just waiting for the newspaper. I wonder what is holding up the man, lol.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 am

Felix, I talked to my friend in Detroit and another south of Cleveland and they got buried too. I definitely don't miss those days. Just chilly here 41 this am; and in the mid 60's today.

Well, good morning to everyone!

Yes ... it is the week of leftovers. I finished the shrimp and spuds last night.
Tonight: The leftover pork tenderloin from Monday night, the extra stuffing from Tuesday night, and another salad using up the rest of my home made caesar dressing.

I still have a bit of my home made cheese spread and crackers for lunch; and a few pieces of smoked salmon to snack on.

If I can get all my work done (that I get paid for); I will make a pot of creamy onion soup. But I can always make that this weekend too.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:47 am

Well now that it is light outside, I would say we have 1.5 feet of snow. I have snow tires but I will not be able to clear the snow on the road with my car.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 am

Leftovers here as well I think - we have so much right now stuffed in the fridge to use up. Leftover chicken tortellini, leftover chicken and dumplings, leftovers roast chicken dinner with brussells sprouts, roast potatoes, a little leftover frittata too. I think it will be just pick what you want from that and heat it up.

I do need to figure out something to do with part of my leftover Brussells sprouts though - they will spoil faster than I think we can eat them. They are already cooked, so not sure how great they will taste if I freeze them - might be mushy. Maybe they will become a soup? Any ideas?

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 am

I guess my sarcasm wasn't all that obvious. :? We seriously got like 1 1/2 inches at my house. After they came to plow the driveway I could barely tell the difference between that and the grass next to it. Several places in the yard I can still see the tops of the grass. I guess downtown they got about 3-4 inches, but I'll find that out for myself when I head to the office for a meeting in a few minutes. We really are too far east and north to have gotten hit by this one, although we did get more than with the last apocalyptic blizzard that came through. :lol:

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:15 am

Heather, why don't you take your leftover chicken, cut up the brussel sprouts and make some nice chicken-vegetable soup.
Snow has stopped here in northeast Ohio for now. Hope it doesn't come back on Sunday morning when our son and daughter-in-law have to fly out of Cleveland. Sure are going to miss them. Won't get to see them again till next Christmas. :oops:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:46 am

HF, Depends on how they are cooked.
They are good added to a bean soup towards the end of cooking
I have also added them with beef and gravy to make small calzones or beef turnovers; just add some onions and they make a nice little bite for lunch
How about a hash with some spuds, chicken, onion, mushrooms

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:49 am

lovinretirement wrote:Heather, why don't you take your leftover chicken, cut up the brussel sprouts and make some nice chicken-vegetable soup.
Snow has stopped here in northeast Ohio for now. Hope it doesn't come back on Sunday morning when our son and daughter-in-law have to fly out of Cleveland. Sure are going to miss them. Won't get to see them again till next Christmas. :oops:
Nice idea; add some onions, and brown or wild rice. Carrots and celery would be good as well.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 am

TGIF Everyone!

A gorgeous day in FL, but storms tomorrow and another cool down day.

Today's Cooking ...

I just made a simple salmon spread using up the smoked salmon, cream cheese, scallions, dill, splash of lemon, worcestershire, and hot sauce. It is the best spread and so easy. Great on crackers for lunch today.

Dinner:
Ladies #1 and #2 still have company through the first; although I am taking them a pot of chili today with corn bread and a salad.

I just picked 5 poblanos from my garden, so I'm either going to stuff those with either shrimp or chorizo; but since I just had a stuffing last night; I may use rice.

Or, my second option is ham and scalloped potatoes; peas
I leaning toward the potatoes since I just had shrimp; and I had stuffing last night.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 am

They're warning us of another horrific 1-3 inches of snow on the way starting this afternoon! Heaven forbid there be snowfall that actually covers all of my grass at the tail end of December! :roll: Currently overcast, no wind, and what looks like 24F.

Physical therapy this morning, then a hockey game tonight, so dinner will be another night of leftovers, then tomorrow everything will either get put in the freezer or tossed.