What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
HeatherFeather

Re: What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 am

Cold here too (also in FL). I really don't have clothing for cooler weather and turning on the heat is extremely expensive. I realize it isn't anything like the weather other places, but it sure feels awfully chilly right now.

The plan tonight is to have sushi ordered and brought home. I really hope one of the places will be open. My alternate plan is to just make some little pigs n blankets and possibly some meatballs, I have fixings for salad to accompany that. Not really doing much for tonight if the sushi falls through, which is fine with us. Tomorrow will be our actual holiday meal.

I do have to get the dough ready for my cinnamon buns today though.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 am

Dissie wrote:Kim, I don't even feel sorry for you. cold? PLEASE! Come to MN. Right now it is 0, but with windchill feels like -15. Thats cold! :lol:

Dinner last night was pizza. Love pizza.

Tonight is turkey with stuffing, mashed taters with gravy, fried cabbage and fried corn.
Dis, I know ... I'm a whimp. NOW, I do remember those COLD winter days, but I down here with the humidity, the cold is REALLY COLD. Honestly 30 feels like 10 because of the dampness. But, yes, A total WHIMP!

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:00 am

Merry Christmas Eve, y'all!

We are having an assortment of appetizers this evening. Not too much, sausage appetizers, chicken dip, marinated shrimp. Lots of chardonnay for me, Crown and Coke for Papa, big fire in the fire pit. We are having good weather, in the 60s, so I'm excited about a fire!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:12 am

Cold here with sleer and snow on the way. I cooked that 16.5 lb country ham last night, we put it out on the porch over night, to big for fridge.
Woke up this morning to rustling in the kitchen. The wife was carving it up already ( she ate a lot ) so I did not get pics.
I cooked the ham in an old fashion enamel roaster with lid. I added 2 cups ginger ale and 2 cups white wine to the roaster. It came out tasting awsome if I must say so myself. We will be serving tonight at our family gathering if my wife leaves any ( she is ususaly not a big fan of country ham ).
Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 am

Sounds good shadows, I a huge ham fan; so good choice in my book.

D, have fun; yes, cold start, but a nice warm day and NOT cold tonight; grilling will be nice. I would love appies, but son wants stupid simple ... so, Xmas is just us and he will get what he wants!!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Ninner wrote:Felix I must have miss read your post. Next storm here is Boxing Day & coming from the West, Dd's area.The storm that delayed her plane. It is expected to be BIG! As far as the 2doz cookies just send me the rest, lol. Now I want peanut butter balls. You guys are killing me.
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, that Boxing Day storm is the one that may or may not hit us here. The next big storm they're talking about is supposed to be over the weekend, but since the last big storm gave me not quite an inch of snow I refuse to be concerned about it. :D

Dinner tonight is leftovers, although two of my sisters were rude and didn't leave us any. Ham, sour cream potato casserole, shrimp salad, and for dessert probably lemon meringue pie. I would have said cherry, but my mother put it on top of the dish holding the shrimp salad, which was hidden under the shelf above it so I couldn't see it, and it wasn't covered with anything. So when I pulled out the shrimp salad for lunch the cherry pie flew off the top, crashed into the door of the fridge (sideways), then landed upside-down on the floor. :roll:

Happy whatever-you-celebrate, everyone! :D

Edit:
OK, officially, according to the most melodramatic of our local stations, we are too far north to get hit with the snowstorm. I find that funny. :D

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Found a place that was open tonight that sells sushi, so we got our nice meal after all. Very happy - no mess to clean up, no cooking for me tonight - yay! Everything tasted pretty good and it was a nice treat. We hadn't had sushi in a long time.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:59 am

Not sleeping and I have a plan, so I might as well post. :? None of the things I'm making are posted yet, so no recipe links. But...Scottish roast chicken (with an oatmeal stuffing), Brussels sprouts with Canadian bacon, Grands honey butter layer biscuits, broccoli in cheese sauce, and probably some leftover shrimp salad (yeah, whatever...it doesn't last forever and there's still quite a bit left). For dessert, we'll probably finish off the lemon meringue pie.

The chicken better be amazing. Not the recipe, which I've made before and know we like, but the chicken itself. The ONLY ones in the store were organic, and there were only four total to choose from. Which means instead of paying about $3.75 for a four-pound chicken, I paid almost nine bucks.

Edit:
I knew that didn't sound quite right! I also have sweet potatoes that I'm going to bake. Not with all the crap people usually put in them, just wrapped in foil and baked, then served with butter, salt and pepper. :D
Last edited by Felix4067 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:51 am

Morning Felix ... I was up at 4 am too ... I guess too much egg nog last night, LOL.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

Today is relaxing for me; when I was married, my exes family had a WHOLE DAY event. From a gigantic breakfast at 8 am, more snacks and nibbles all day long; then a gigantic dinner at 4pm followed by dessert, more drinks and 'It's a Wonderful Life.' I know they enjoyed it, but it was just a bit much.

So, today, I plan a relaxing Xmas day. A little cleaning up, friends of mine always have a Christmas open house from noon to 4. A few nibbles, punch, egg nog, etc., nothing heavy. I'll stop by for a little bit; then home to make dinner for myself.

A neighbor gave me some delicious homemade apple cranberry bread and a small tub of walnut cream cheese ... that's breakfast. It is really good.

Dinner: Cornish hen stuffed with leftover T-day stuffing (freezer stash), but will add cranberries and walnuts. Roasted brussels sprouts with honey and balsamic; and greens from the garden with a bacon dressing.
==========================================

I hope everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. And travel safe if that is in your plans.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:24 am

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Very quiet here. Snowing lightly for those who want a white Christmas.

Felix this storm that arrives late tomorrow is expected to be a big one. Kids are headed to Niagara Falls for the lights Wed. Staying overnight to shop in the USA on Thursday. We are told that it will be worse south of us. I was hoping the kids would be here to clear the snow. We will see what happens?????

This morning will be presents & Mimosas. Then I will be roasting a turkey with all the trimmings. The prep work is done. That is the total of my day except for garbage tonight which I hate.

I wish you & yours a very Merry Christmas.