What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
invictus

Re: What's For Dinner?-December 2012

Post by invictus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Didn't get the chicken made last night so I'll do that tonight. Last night I warmed up a batch of black bean soup which was so good. :!:

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 am

It is 12:50am, and my "dinner" just consisted of a handful of deli pastrami and chunk of extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Holy crap it's been a busy couple of days! :shock:

OOH! I forgot, I have both chocolate and banana moon pies! Dessert! :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 am

Morning All!

I completely forgot Wed I think; I just heated up a couple of stuffed cabbage rolls in the freezer; corn; and a small dinner roll. All from the freezer, easy, quick, and just enough.

Thurs ...
Have a tile cleaner coming today to clean and seal. Then a guy is working on a leak in my condo (ceiling later around 4); and the tile guy is coming back to grout. Plus, errands, cleaning, etc.

So, guess what? Easy again.
I have rice in the freezer; also mushrooms and peppers, I froze, shrimp too ... so, I think anything I can grab quick and throw together.

I'm thinking a stir fry rice dish. Rice topped with a freezer mix in a light white wine and broth. NO cream. Maybe some of my greens and tomatoes from the garden on the side.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 am

Well, I have still been hit with allergies, so a lot of days of just eating whatever, no real cooking. Every year the same thing - yikes! Feeling slightly better again today though :)

Hoping to get a nice plan for the next few days leading up to the holiday meals. Hoping that one of the sushi places will be open on Christmas Eve so we can order sushi to eat at home - decided that would be nice for the two of us to have. If not, then I will have to figure out something else.

Tonight, assuming I get to the store, I will be making the anniversary chicken that I planned to make days ago, but didn't get around to. Just the BF and I all week, DD will be off with her dad.

Also hoping to get some gingerbread men made today or tomorrow. It doesn't quite feel Christmasy without some gingerbread.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Heather, if you don't have time (or feel like) making gingerbread men, can I be shameless and plug my great-grandma's gingerbread? It's stupid easy and really good, and would fill the need for gingerbread to make it a holiday. :D

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/grandm ... ingerbread

Today I've already been out running errands, and need to make said gingerbread (three batches), Cream Cheese Walnut Drop Cookies (triple batch), and Oreo Truffles (triple batch). Also need to do some laundry and then clean up the kitchen from the baking extravaganza.

So then dinner. I'm hoping to not forget to make some. Probably something easy, like Sausages and Peppers, since I've got a red pepper that's about to die. It won't be as pretty with only one colour and no asparagus, but I'll add some mushrooms and probably some green beans and it should be fine.

invictus

Post by invictus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Herbed kielbasa and potato bake tonight, I think. :)

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Been busy with Dd arriving today. Plane has been delayed due to storm in B.C. where the plane was this morning. It is now freezing rain here with snow expected into Sat.

Dinner chicken wraps with fruit salad.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Thank you, Felix - I love the sound of your family gingerbread recipe and saved the recipe. My BF loves gingerbread, and although I also have a coupe of favorite cake versions already, yours sounds like yet another winner. I will have to give it a try!

I am still feeling sick, but trying to just ignore it. I know it isn't going to fully go away until the seasons change, so I am stuck just dealing with allergy meds when I need them and toughing it out.

Finally got the tree decorated - it is almost done, just a few odds and ends to finish off. I have to put away all the extra ornaments still, plus go through the ones I no longer think I want to keep (I have tons of them, use a selection from them each year - time to pare that down some)

The anniversary chicken is baking in the oven and I have some mixed veggies (green beans, red peppers strips, yellow and orange carrots) steaming in the microwave.

Possibly getting some goodies baked tonight if I feel up to it.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:26 am

We enjoyed meatloaf, fried potatoes, green beans with bacon and onions and finger rolls for lunch. OMG it was so good. I came home at midnight after work for another feast. It was great! :D Made a bowl of it all and mixed it all together, great food! :lol:

Just found out today ,we wont have to work on Saturday, so that means just one day short on check. I was on the volunteer list for work on Saturday,but crossed name out. We are are off xmas eve and xmas AND Sunday, but only get paid for xmas. Happy but annoyed that check will be short....I have vacation built up and could use it, but...summer is coming...just need to budget more this next couple weeks. Dont want to "waste" summer days of vacation. :D I would rather be off during the summer. I now live in the land of 10,000 lakes +, need to enjoy that! :D We have a family cabin on the lake, and it used weekly. Summer and winter....guys love to fish in the fishhouse on the lake in the winter. Honestly, I enjoy it too, but always come back in to join the ladyfolk who are cooking and drinking too in the cabin where it's warmer! :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 am

Morning All!

Dis - being from MI; we spent every wknd at our summer or second home. Winters too. It was northern MI, so, ice fishing, heck yes, I grew up doing that. Fresh Walleye, then Dad and I would grill it. Yes, grilling in winter. Dad refurbished a old fish shanty into a grill house and that is where we did all of our grilling during the winter.

Felix and Inv, sausages are always good; HF, feel better and enjoy your chicken dinner; Nin, good luck with the crew coming in for the holidays - hoping DD behaves, LOL.

Still have some work going on in the house and my tile is being cleaned and sealed today. So, just a bit of putting things back together.

Today's Cooking ...

Ladies #1 and #2: Xmas dinner with someone in their neighborhood, off the hook.

Me: Out with g/f (rescheduled from the other night) going computer shopping for her. We will probably get something while we are out. Honestly, subway sounds good to me. Too much to do and crazy busy, so stupid simple will work just fine.

Subway is literally 1/2 mi from my house; we could bring back the subs, open a bag of chips with dip, a couple of beers and call it a night. FINE with ME!!

I have a big party tomorrow night, so I will be up early cooking and easy is the way to go.