Created by: Cheesehead
Recipe #942 | Created on October 19, 2011
Uber-Rich, Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Ice Cream
"This is so good! And you don't even know there's coconut milk in it! Alisa Cooks via godairyfree.com. I have never made it in the ice cream maker and it's still good. Also, do not feel you need to add the PB topping, only if you have time. The Cook time is freezing time. I guessed on that. "
- 1 (14-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (or to taste, I used lightly salted)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, brown sugar, or honey* (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 batch dairy-free peanut butter chunks (see separate recipe)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Combine the coconut milk, peanut butter, preferred sweetener (see note below for honey), and vanilla in your blender, and blend until smooth.
Place the mixture in your refrigerator and allow it to thoroughly chill before proceeding. Use this time to make sure the canister of your ice cream maker has been thoroughly chilled in the freezer, and that the container you will pack the ice cream in for keeping is also chilled.
Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions (this recipe is rich enough, that you may have success simply freezing it and stirring occasionally until frozen if you don’t have an ice cream maker).
When the ice cream is done, pack it into your chilled container, and drizzle the top with as much of the melted PB Chunks as you desire, creating a thin or thick layer. Freeze until mostly firm.
The PB chunk layer will be solidified, break it up with a spoon and stir into the peanut butter ice cream. Freeze until completely firm.
* If using honey, you will need to heat the mixture slowly in a saucepan until the honey dissolves. Unlike agave, honey is a bit temperamental about dissolving in cold liquids.
- Serving Size: 1 (718.8 g)
- Calories 2475.3
- Total Fat - 129.8 g
- Saturated Fat - 21.2 g
- Cholesterol - 48 mg
- Sodium - 379.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 302 g
- Dietary Fiber - 10.9 g
- Sugars - 6.7 g
- Protein - 42 g
- Calcium - 606.1 mg
- Iron - 12 mg
- Vitamin C - 0 mg
- Thiamin - 1 mg