Created by: TeresaS
Created on December 2, 2015
Turkey/Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole
"This is my daughters favorite recipe for leftover turkey. I love it too! It seems time consuming but it does go together quickly once you have everything ready. I got it out of an old cookbook magazine called Fresh Turkey Ideas. We really look forward to Thanksgiving just to have this as our traditional left over. Hope you enjoy!"
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (0)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 45mPT45M
Cook Time: 30mPT30M
- NEW MEXICO GREEN SAUCE
- 4 large poblano chilies (roasted, peeled, seeded and finely chopped or 1/2 cup poblano chile)
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped or 1 cup onion)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- MAIN INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable oil)
- 10 flour (300 grams) tortillas, (6-inch tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips)
- 9 ounces cooked turkey (2 cups shredded cooked, or 2 cups cooked chicken or 1 lb boneless chicken))
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
To prepare the New Mexico Green Sauce: Set oven control to broil. Arrange poblano chilies on broiler rack with tops about 5 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 17 minutes, turning occasionally, until skin is blistered and evenly browned (not burned). Remove chilies to plastic bag; close tightly. Let stand 20 minutes. Peel, seed and finely chop chilies.
Cook onion, poblano and jalapeno chilies and garlic in 2 tbls oil over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in whipping cream and salt. Set aside.
Heat 1/2 cup oil in 10-inch skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in hot oil 30 to 60 seconds or until light golden brown; drain.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2-quart casserole.
Layer half of the tortilla strips in bottom of casserole. Top with turkey, half of the New Mexico Green Sauce (about 2/3 cups) and 1 cup of the cheese.
Press layers gently down into casserole.
Tepeat with remaining tortilla strips, sauce and cheese.
Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1 (171.8 g)
- Calories 449.9
- Total Fat - 32 g
- Saturated Fat - 7.3 g
- Cholesterol - 122.2 mg
- Sodium - 432.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 27 g
- Dietary Fiber - 4.1 g
- Sugars - 2.9 g
- Protein - 15.4 g
- Calcium - 62.4 mg
- Iron - 2.6 mg
- Vitamin C - 10 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg