Created by: ForeverMama
Created on July 7, 2017
Categories: Dinner, Lunch, Main Dish, Pork, Vegetables, Scandinavian, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Kid Pleaser, Entertaining, Father's Day, Game/Sports Day, Stove Top, Make it from scratch, Sandwiches (more)
The Scandinavian Hot Dog
"You may think the hot dog is a purely American phenomenon, but in Scandinavia they have developed a completely different twist on the traditional dog as presented here in this recipe. To say that Scandinavians love hot dogs would be an understatement. Many European’s claim that Scandinavian hot dogs are some of the best in the world. It’s certainly true that the remoulade sauce gives their hot dogs a complex, sophisticated taste."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (4)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 10mPT10M
Cook Time: 5mPT5M
We loved this hot dog version! I had no idea hot dogs were popular in Scandinavia. We loved the remoulade, fried and fresh onions, and all of the other combined ingredients. Yum! I will definitely make these again. Thank you1.
- 4 (1/2 pound) bread buns (soft buns)
- 1 pound hot dogs (4 red hot dogs preferably with a natural casing that snaps)
- 4 tablespoons remoulade (store bought or homemade)
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 4 tablespoons chopped white onion
- 4 tablespoons onions, sliced (crispy fried onions, store bought)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup sliced dill pickles (totaling 16 slices)
- FOR DANISH REMOULADE SAUCE
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard (whole grain mustard)
- 1 tablespoon chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Curry, dash (to taste)
- NOTE: The ingredients below for the Remoulade Sauce are optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper to taste
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
TO MAKE YOUR OWN SCANDINAVIAN HOT DOG
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, turn down heat and place hot dogs in water. Continue to heat for 5 minutes or until hot dogs are heated through.
Place one hot dog in each bun and place two pickle slices (or more to your liking) lengthwise along the hot dog on each side.
Then top with 1 tablespoon each of remoulade, ketchup, mustard, chopped onions and crispy fried onions.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
TO MAKE THE DANISH REMOULADE SAUCED
Mince onion, parsley and capers. Be careful not to mince too much which will make them too watery.
Place 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1 tbsp. of mustard, 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice, and 1 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce in a medium mixing bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients and whisk everything together in the bowl.
Cover and chill 1 hour. (Rémoulade sauce is better if left for a few hours to let the flavors meld. which will allow the flavors to blend and intensify.)
Keep refrigerated. Will keep for several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 (322.3 g)
- Calories 741.8
- Total Fat - 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat - 11.5 g
- Cholesterol - 72.9 mg
- Sodium - 2027.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 83.8 g
- Dietary Fiber - 4 g
- Sugars - 30.9 g
- Protein - 14.6 g
- Calcium - 161.5 mg
- Iron - 4.4 mg
- Vitamin C - 8.9 mg
- Thiamin - 0.4 mg