Created by: ForeverMama
Created on April 7, 2017
Categories: Lunch, Salads, Vegetable Salad, Vegetables, Carrot, Cucumber, Onions, Southern, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Make-Ahead, Quick Meals, Summer, Refrigerator, Stove Top, Gluten-Free, No Eggs, Non-Dairy, Make it from scratch (more)
Sweet Cucumber & Carrot Salad
"This cuke salad makes for a tasty side or to be enjoyed on its own."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (1)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 15mPT15M
Cook Time: 5mPT5M
I used a fresh jalapeno rather than pickled, but otherwise followed the recipe. I used almost the full tablespoon of fish sauce as well. I served this alongside several meals and we enjoyed it with all. Thank you for sharing the recipe!.
- 2 cucumbers (medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/3-inch-thick half moons)
- 1 carrot (medium carrot, scraped and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds)
- 4 ounces red onion (coarsely chopped)1/4 of a medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pickled jalapeno pepper (1 medium pepper, seeds removed, minced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nuoc nam, or less to taste, add it bit by bit and taste so that it won't overpower the salad)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Toss the vegetables together in a medium bowl.
Heat the water, sugars, vinegar, and fish sauce (adding it bit by bit) over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat and pour over vegetables. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
NOTE: This salad will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 (164.5 g)
- Calories 129.2
- Total Fat - 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat - 1.2 g
- Cholesterol - 9.3 mg
- Sodium - 496.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.2 g
- Sugars - 18.5 g
- Protein - 3.8 g
- Calcium - 19.1 mg
- Iron - 0.4 mg
- Vitamin C - 9.4 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg