Created by: TeresaS
Created on April 19, 2017
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Casseroles, Side Dishes, Dairy, Cheese, Monterey Jack, Pasta, Fruit, Tomato, North American, Fall/Autumn, Game/Sports Day, Sunday Dinner, Winter, Weeknight Meals, Oven Bake, Stove Top, Vegetarian, Canned Tomatoes, Make it from scratch, Macaroni, Spicy, Kosher Dairy (more)
Spicy Macaroni & Cheese
"This is out of my Gourmet's Weekend cookbook."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (0)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 15mPT15M
Cook Time: 50mPT50M
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeno chilies (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (28 ounce) plum tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 1 pound dry elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese (coarsely grated, about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (coarsely grated, extra-sharp, about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (fresh)
- 1 1/3 cups Parmesan cheese, grated (fresh, about 4 ounces)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 13 X 9-inch shallow baking dish or a 3-quart gratin dish.
Bring a kettle of salted water to a boil for macaroni.
In a large heavy saucepan cook onion, garlic, jalapenos, coriander, and cumin in butter over moderately low heat, stirring until onion is softened. Stir in flour and cook stirring, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking. Bring liquid to a boil, whisking, and whisk in tomatoes. Simmer mixture 2 minutes and add cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
In boiling water cook macaroni 6 minutes or until barely al dente, and drain well. In a large bowl combine macaroni with tomato mixture and stir in Monterrey Jack and Cheddar. Transfer mixture to prepared dish. Macaroni and cheese may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled covered. In a bowl stir together bread crumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over macaroni. Bake macaroni and cheese in middle of oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- Serving Size: 1 (524.6 g)
- Calories 757.2
- Total Fat - 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat - 17.7 g
- Cholesterol - 83.9 mg
- Sodium - 847 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 86 g
- Dietary Fiber - 9.3 g
- Sugars - 14.4 g
- Protein - 42 g
- Calcium - 1019.8 mg
- Iron - 4.2 mg
- Vitamin C - 22 mg
- Thiamin - 0.6 mg