Created by: bigmmg
Created on December 19, 2014
Categories: Breakfast, Desserts, Lunch, Main Dish, Grains, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Small Batch Cooking, Skillet, Gluten-Free, Kosher, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, No Eggs, Non-Dairy, Vegan, Vegetarian (more)
Spicy Hemp Breakfast Sausages
"Masa harina, the corn flour used to make tortillas and tamales, holds these sausages together. The mixture can be shaped into patties or links and refrigerated three days or frozen up to six months."
- SPICE LIQUID
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (pure)
- 2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried sage (rubbed)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (preferably coarsely ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- SAUSAGE MIX
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (plus 1/4 cup more for cooking sausages, optional)
- 1 can (15 ounce) pinto beans (or kidney beans, rinsed and drained)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
To make Spice Liquid: Place all ingredients in medium bowl. Stir in 2 cups boiling water. Set aside 5 minutes to steep and develop flavor.
To make Sausage Mix: Stir 1 cup warm Spice Liquid into masa harina. Let stand 5 minutes to rehydrate masa harina, then stir in hemp seeds.
Heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup beans and 1/3 cup Spice Liquid. Using potato masher or back of spoon, mash beans into Spice Liquid. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup beans and 1/3 cup Spice Liquid, and mash and cook again, stirring. Add remaining 1/2 cup beans and remaining 1/3 cup Spice Liquid, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture is thick and dry.
Stir bean mixture into masa harina mixture. Cool, or refrigerate overnight.
Use damp hands to shape Sausage Mix into 2-inch patties or small links.
Coat non-stick skillet with cooking spray, or heat 1/4 cup oil, if using, in skillet over medium heat. Cook sausages 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until deep brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Cool 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 (109.5 g)
- Calories 166.8
- Total Fat - 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat - 1 g
- Cholesterol - 0 mg
- Sodium - 883.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber - 5.7 g
- Sugars - 7.2 g
- Protein - 6.1 g
- Calcium - 79.9 mg
- Iron - 3.3 mg
- Vitamin C - 9.3 mg
- Thiamin - 0.3 mg