Created by: Kchurchill5
Recipe #4538 | Created on February 7, 2012
Categories: Dinner, Lunch, Main Dish, Beans, Fruit, Tomato, Vegetables, Garlic, Appetizers, Onions, Mexican, North American, Southwest, 5-Minute Prep, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Pantry/Shelf, Quick Meals, Cinco de Mayo, Entertaining, Game/Sports Day, Labor Day, Microwave, Oven Bake, Stove Top, Heart Healthy, Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Frozen Vegetables (more)
Southwest Bean and Rice Wraps
"Inspiration ... Taco Bell. But, this is a perfect way to use your pantry, freezer, or refrigerator leftovers. This also makes for a nice meatless dinner; however, use your imagination - diced chicken, pork, shrimp, or ground beef; as well as other beans, red or green bell peppers, olives, jalapenos, or even mushrooms can be added."
- 8 to 10 flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked white or yellow rice
- 1 cup corn (frozen works great)
- 1 cup chunky salsa (I like a hot spice, but use what you like)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, diced (white and green parts)
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fine chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: sour cream -- extra salsa
- Optional: --- chicken, pork, shrimp, or ground beef
- Jalapenos, mushrooms, olives, red or green bell peppers, or other beans
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Base ... Add the olive oil to a non stick saute pan and bring to medium heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook 1 minute. Then add in the beans, corn, salsa, cumin, and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Mix well to combine and cook 5 minutes until everything is blended.
Finish ... Add in the rice, cilantro, and taste again for any seasoning. Mix well and heat through.
Wraps ... I like to heat the tortillas in the oven, but the microwave also works fine. Just make sure to only wrap 5 at a time, otherwise they won't heat through. I wrap mine in foil for the oven; but a damp paper towel works fine to heat in the microwave. Add cheese to a warm tortilla and top with the rice and beans, sour cream and wrap up. If you want you can serve the sour cream as a garnish rather than in the wrap.
Serve ... Add a salad for a perfect light dinner. Using the small tortillas make a nice size for a snack or an appetizer, and the bigger ones for more of a dinner entree. Either way, experiment with the fillings. ENJOY!
- Serving Size: 1 (369.6 g)
- Calories 553.9
- Total Fat - 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat - 11.6 g
- Cholesterol - 59.3 mg
- Sodium - 1651.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 54.9 g
- Dietary Fiber - 3.6 g
- Sugars - 2.4 g
- Protein - 27.1 g
- Calcium - 526.2 mg
- Iron - 3 mg
- Vitamin C - 3.6 mg
- Thiamin - 0.2 mg