Created by: Mikekey
Created on September 14, 2015
"Sick" (Or lazy) Day Chicken Soup
"I wasn't feeling well and wanted soup for dinner. I also didn't want to go to the store, so this is what I came up with, using things I had on hand."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (2)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 20mPT20M
Cook Time: 145mPT145M
Great soup! We skipped the rice and just used the pasta but otherwise followed as written. We also used 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups water, skipping the bouillon. Filling and good! Thanks for sharing!.
- 1 yellow onion (med onion, peeled and diced)
- 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped (3 carrots)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (fresh)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Fresh thyme, 2 sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 6 cups water (or broth-if using broth omit the bouillon)
- 3 teaspoons low-sodium chicken bouillon powder
- 1 can (10.5 ounce) chicken gravy
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice (white)
- 50 grams dry elbow pasta (dry 1/2 cup)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Place all ingredients except rice and macaroni in a large soup kettle. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pan and simmer for 2 hours, or until vegetables are cooked.
Remove thyme stems and bay leaves and discard.
Remove chicken thighs and chop into smaller pieces. Return to soup pot.
Stir in cooked rice and uncooked macaroni and cover pan. Simmer another 25 minutes, or until pasta is done.
- Serving Size: 1 (488.5 g)
- Calories 305.9
- Total Fat - 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat - 2.2 g
- Cholesterol - 204.1 mg
- Sodium - 610.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber - 3.9 g
- Sugars - 4.9 g
- Protein - 29.7 g
- Calcium - 73.4 mg
- Iron - 3.3 mg
- Vitamin C - 11.4 mg
- Thiamin - 0.2 mg