Created by: Felix4067
Recipe #2126 | Created on November 6, 2011
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Main Dish, Casseroles, Shellfish, Crab meat, Shrimp, Dairy, Cheese, Cheddar, Southern, Quick Meals, Fall/Autumn, Winter, Weeknight Meals, Oven Bake, Stove Top, Diabetic, High Protein, Low Carbohydrate, Make it from scratch (more)
Shrimp and Crab Au Gratin
"I originally posted this at F.com, but have since adapted it to better suit our taste. This is comfort food at its finest, and is good served by itself or over rice or pasta. If you're trying to watch your fat intake, this recipe is definitely not for you, but sometimes you just have to splurge."
- 1/2 cup butter (must be real butter, no margarine)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces crabmeat (cooked and flaked)
- 1 pound shrimp (cooked shelled and deveined)
- 1 can (12 ounce) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup milk (at least 2%)
- 12 ounces grated cheddar cheese (use real cheese, not the pre-shredded stuff)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Preheat oven to 375F. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, celery and red bell pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together egg yolks, red pepper flakes, and salt.
When vegetables are tender, add flour to pan and mix well.
Immediately slowly add evaporated milk, stirring constantly, to thin flour mixture; then add regular milk in the same way.
Add egg yolk mixture and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
Remove pan from heat; stir in crab, shrimp and 8 ounces of cheese and mix well.
Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Serving Size: 1 (229.6 g)
- Calories 343.7
- Total Fat - 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat - 13.3 g
- Cholesterol - 131.8 mg
- Sodium - 1032.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.1 g
- Sugars - 3.7 g
- Protein - 25.9 g
- Calcium - 501.4 mg
- Iron - 0.9 mg
- Vitamin C - 0.9 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg