Created by: ForeverMama
Created on July 6, 2017
Categories: Comfort Food, Soups/Stews, Poultry, Chicken, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Small Batch Cooking, Fall/Autumn, Winter, Weeknight Meals, Stove Top, Make it from scratch, Herbs, Bone-in Pieces, Kosher Meat (more)
Ladakhi Chicken Thukpa (Traditional Tibetan Noodle Chicken Soup)
"This soup is traditional to the Tibetans but ever so different than the Western version. Here they brighten it up with lemon, fresh coriander, spring onion, soy sauce, etc."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (2)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 15mPT15M
Cook Time: 55mPT55M
This was a fun, different take on chicken noodle soup! We really loved the chicken, noodles, carrots, onion, ginger, spring onions, chilies etc... I'm not sure I would do the honey and soy sauce again but it was fun for a change of pace! I ended.... Read more
- 1/2 pound chicken thighs (and/or drumsticks equaling 2 chicken)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 5 grams ginger, julienned
- 7 spring onions, chopped
- 3 green chilies (sliced in half)
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice (of 1/2 lemon)
- 200 ml water (add more water if you find it necessary or use chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup egg noodles (or so to equal a handful of egg noodles, you can use regular noodles as well)
- Spring onions, chopped (additional for topping over soup bowl)
- Cilantro, roughly chopped (additional, leaving some leaves whole for topping over soup bowl)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Heat 2 the olive oil in a shallow saute the chicken until it turns light brown.
Add chopped onion and the carrots to the chicken.
Add julienned ginger, garlic, spring onions and green chilies. Sprinkle salt, pepper and some fresh coriander leaves and saute.
Add 200 ml of water and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
Squeeze in the lemon juice.
Add soy sauce and honey. Stir the broth gently and cover.
Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the broth and shred and set aside.
Add the egg noodles noodles into the broth and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken back into the broth and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with some spring onions, green chili and fresh coriander.
- Serving Size: 1 (469.3 g)
- Calories 499.7
- Total Fat - 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat - 7.1 g
- Cholesterol - 119.1 mg
- Sodium - 432.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 29 g
- Dietary Fiber - 5.8 g
- Sugars - 8.8 g
- Protein - 22.9 g
- Calcium - 106 mg
- Iron - 2.6 mg
- Vitamin C - 24.8 mg
- Thiamin - 0.3 mg