Created by: Sue Lau
Recipe #9560 | Created on May 12, 2013
Categories: Dinner, Lunch, Main Dish, Soups/Stews, Tofu/Soy, Vegetables, Mushrooms, Spinach, Chinese, North American, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Quick Meals, Fall/Autumn, Stove Top, Gluten-Free, Heart Healthy, Low Cholesterol, No Eggs, Non-Dairy, Vegetarian (more)
Hen of the Woods Soup
"This uses Maitake mushrooms which have an exquisite aroma and earthy deep mushroom flavor."
- 3 1/2 ounces fresh mushrooms (Maitake mushrooms, chopped)
- 3 1/2 ounces small white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 fresh red Thai chile pepper, thinly sliced (optionaL)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 1/2 ounces tofu (extra-firm tofu cubes)
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice
- 2 1/2 ounces organic baby spinach leaves, stems removed, shredded or chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Saute the mushrooms, chopped onion, and sliced chile pepper in the peanut oil until soft.
Stir in the chicken broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil and bring to a boil.
Add tofu cubes and rice and cook a couple minutes to heat through.
Stir in the spinach and scallion, until the spinach wilts, then serve.
- Serving Size: 1 (377.1 g)
- Calories 314.9
- Total Fat - 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat - 4 g
- Cholesterol - 22.3 mg
- Sodium - 1071.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber - 4 g
- Sugars - 3 g
- Protein - 15.8 g
- Calcium - 143.5 mg
- Iron - 2.4 mg
- Vitamin C - 10.5 mg
- Thiamin - 0.3 mg