Created by: HeatherFeather
Created on April 14, 2012
Ham, Bean, and Vegetable Soup
"Whenever my veggie bin needs to get cleaned out, I love to throw together a big pot of hearty vegetable soup to make use of any vegetables that I need to use up quickly. I put together this version today specifically to use up the rest of my holiday ham. It turned out great and is very flexible. Feel free to use different veggies based on what you have in your own fridge."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (0)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 15mPT15M
Cook Time: 1hPT1H
- 1 medium-large Vidalia onion, chopped finely
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 very small zucchini, diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- Mrs Dash seasoning (Table Blend), to taste (LOTS)
- Garlic salt, to taste (be sparing)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (32 ounce) box Progresso reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can canary beans, rinsed well, drained (or other small white beans, cooked)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups cooked ham (mine was mustard baked), diced, trimmed of fat
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Add enough olive oil to thinly coat the bottom of a large stockpot; you only need enough to sautee the veggies.
Heat pan over medium-high heat; add diced onions, bell pepper, and zucchini, sauteeing until onions are softened, seasoning heavily to taste with Mrs. Dash Table Blend herb seasoning.
Add tomatoes, then fill the tomato can with about 1/4-1/3 cup water and add to the pot.
Add broth, ham, beans,sliced garlic and a bit of garlic salt to taste (not too much as the ham will provide some salt as well); feel free to add more Mrs Dash to taste if you like.
Bring the pot to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and let cook about 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally and testing for seasoning, adjusting as needed to your liking.
- Serving Size: 1 (406.5 g)
- Calories 966.5
- Total Fat - 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat - 16.2 g
- Cholesterol - 58.1 mg
- Sodium - 1556.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 98 g
- Dietary Fiber - 6.2 g
- Sugars - 2.2 g
- Protein - 40.2 g
- Calcium - 296.2 mg
- Iron - 10.3 mg
- Vitamin C - 10.3 mg
- Thiamin - 1 mg