Created by: breezermom
Created on October 3, 2016
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Main Dish, Casseroles, Beef, Ground Beef, Pork, Pork Sausage, Vegetables, Eggplant, Italian, Entertaining, Fall/Autumn, Sunday Dinner, Winter, Dutch Oven, Oven Bake, Skillet, Gluten-Free, No Eggs, Canned Tomatoes, Make it from a box (more)
"This isn't light eggplant parm.....this is full on meat sauce eggplant parm!"
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (2)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 20mPT20M
Cook Time: 3hPT3H
One of my favorite dishes - loved the sauce. All you need is a salad and you have a great meal. Made only a few changes - less sugar in the sauce and used less oil for the eggplant..
- 1 pound ground beef (ground round)
- 1 pound Italian sausage (mild)
- 1 can (28 ounce) tomatoes, undrained (Italian-style)
- 1 can (28 ounce) tomato puree
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped, plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (chopped, plus 1 teaspoon)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pound eggplant (1 large eggplant)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated (or Romano cheese)
- 1 package (6 ounce) sliced mozzarella cheese (cut into thin strips)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Cook ground round in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble the meat. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Set the meat and drippings aside.
Cook the sausage in the skillet until browned, stirring to crumble the sausage. Drain, set aside.
Combine the ground round, reserved drippings, tomatoes, and the next 9 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 2 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Saute eggplant in olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until almost tender; drain.
Spread 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Layer half each of eggplant slices, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, sausage, and tomato mixture; repeat layers. Top with mozzarella cheese strips.
Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.
- Serving Size: 1 (539.8 g)
- Calories 737.9
- Total Fat - 52.6 g
- Saturated Fat - 19 g
- Cholesterol - 123 mg
- Sodium - 1123 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber - 4 g
- Sugars - 15 g
- Protein - 43.8 g
- Calcium - 700.3 mg
- Iron - 4.9 mg
- Vitamin C - 27.9 mg
- Thiamin - 0.2 mg