Created by: Kchurchill5
Recipe #4356 | Created on January 27, 2012
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Main Dish, Poultry, Chicken, Pasta, North American, 5-Minute Prep, Budget-Friendly, Cooking With Condensed Soup, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Kid Pleaser, Pantry/Shelf, Quick Meals, Entertaining, Fall/Autumn, Father's Day, Ladies Luncheon, Mother's Day, Summer, Valentine's Day, Winter, Stove Top, Low Fat, Wine (more)
Easy Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
"This is another one of those simple delicious pantry meals. But, heck ... this is so much better than take out or delivery. Even better if you have leftover chicken, but either way; it is easy and quick to prepare. It was on the back of a soup can; and after a few adjustments, it is pretty tasty."
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (or about 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, again you can add more or less chicken if you want)
- 12 ounces bow tie pasta (I prefer bow tie, but you can use penne rigate or even a large elbow, I like to use the lower fat, or healthy brand)
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup (I use the low fat/salt)
- 1/2 cup milk (I use 2%, but not skim)
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth or white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup pesto
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter (if you are using uncooked chicken)
- Garnish: parmesan cheese, grated
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Chicken ... If using uncooked chicken, add the butter to a saute pan and add the chicken. Bring to medium heat and saute until lightly golden brown. Remove from the heat once the chicken is done. If using leftover chicken, make sure to remove from the refrigerator and let it come to room temp. The heat from the sauce and pasta will warm up the chicken.
Sauce ... Add the pesto, milk, wine or vermouth (optional), and soup to a small pot and bring to a light boil, reduce, and simmer on low while you make the pasta. Five minutes is all you need. Note: if using a store bought pesto, make sure to mix well and try to not add a lot of the oil. I use my small teaspoon strainer so I get more of the pesto and less of the oil.
Pasta ... Cook the pasta according to package directions in plenty of salted water.
Finish ... Toss the pasta with the sauce, chicken, red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve ... Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parmesan cheese. ENJOY! Serve with classic caesar salad on the side
- Serving Size: 1 (317.7 g)
- Calories 785.9
- Total Fat - 25 g
- Saturated Fat - 10 g
- Cholesterol - 126.9 mg
- Sodium - 561.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 108.9 g
- Dietary Fiber - 12.3 g
- Sugars - 16.5 g
- Protein - 32.6 g
- Calcium - 128.1 mg
- Iron - 2.8 mg
- Vitamin C - 3.7 mg
- Thiamin - 0.5 mg