Created by: Luvcookn
Created on January 11, 2017
Categories: Dinner, Lunch, Soups/Stews, Fish, Salmon, Vegetables, Corn, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Quick Meals, Fall/Autumn, Winter, Weeknight Meals, Stove Top, Diabetic, Heart Healthy, No Eggs, Make it from scratch, Herbs (more)
Creamy Salmon & Corn Chowder With Dill
"Wonderful chowder for a comforting meal! I have made this as written and then with home canned salmon, dried dill and jarred pimentos and whipping cream. Both ways are wonderful. From J&G Podleski."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (0)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 20mPT20M
Cook Time: 15mPT15M
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white part only, or chopped onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounce) cream-style corn (no-salt added, 398ml)
- 1/2 cup light cream (5%)
- 12 ounces boneless skinless salmon fillet (cut into bite-size pieces, 340 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add leeks, celery, red pepper and garlic.
Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add thyme and tarragon; cook and stir for 30 more seconds.
Add flour and mix well until vegetables are completely coated; add chicken broth.
Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
Soup will thicken slightly.
Stir in corn and cream.
Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in salmon, salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer until salmon is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes, depending on size of salmon pieces.
Remove soup from heat and stir in dill, lemon juice, lemon zest and mustard.
- Serving Size: 1 (302.7 g)
- Calories 408.3
- Total Fat - 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat - 8.2 g
- Cholesterol - 114.4 mg
- Sodium - 1127 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.6 g
- Sugars - 15.2 g
- Protein - 21.1 g
- Calcium - 101.3 mg
- Iron - 2.2 mg
- Vitamin C - 10.1 mg
- Thiamin - 0.3 mg