Created by: Kchurchill5
Recipe #7781 | Created on October 20, 2011
Creamy and Healthy Potato Soup
"This is my probably my favorite potato soup recipe. It is light and healthy. The potatoes add a natural thickness to the soup with or without the cream. Feel free to add any of your favorite garnishes such as bacon or diced ham, cheese, chives, even sour cream."
- Large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large carrot, peeled and 2" pieces
- Large onion, cut in quarters
- Cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth, if you want to keep it vegetarian)
- 1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream (you can use a lighter cream or even milk if you like)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in 2-3 pieces
- Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Vegetables ... Add the broth to a large pot along with the potatoes, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium and cook until the vegetables are tender. Depending on the size of the vegetables, it should take around 15-20 minutes.
Puree ... I prefer to use a stick blender, but you can also use a regular blender and puree in batches. If using a stick blender, it is best to remove it from the heat. Also, don't forget to remove the bay leaf before you puree.
Finish ... Once the soup is pureed, return to the heat and add the cream or milk. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Serve ... Garnish with a few chives or chopped bacon are my favorites. ENJOY!
- Serving Size: 1 (164.8 g)
- Calories 107.9
- Total Fat - 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat - 3.6 g
- Cholesterol - 21.8 mg
- Sodium - 248 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber - 2.2 g
- Sugars - 2.6 g
- Protein - 3.2 g
- Calcium - 145.5 mg
- Iron - 0.8 mg
- Vitamin C - 22.4 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg