Created by: ImPat
Created on October 26, 2014
Categories: Dinner, Main Dish, Poultry, Chicken, Dairy, Cheese, Mozzarella, Vegetables, Onions, Budget-Friendly, Sunday Dinner, Oven Bake, Stove Top, Diabetic, Low Fat, Canned Tomatoes, Boneless Pieces (more)
"From Australian Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living - saving here as it is easier than keeping the magazines, at this point times estimated."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (2)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 20mPT20M
Cook Time: 45mPT45M
WOW! This was a great hit and the preparation was very simple. I placed raw zucchini (I skipped the peas and carrots) slices around the chicken as I was broiling it and then I added the other ingredients (ham, tomatoes sauce and mozzarella) and.... Read more
- FOR TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 can (400 gram) tomatoes, chopped (no-added-salt)
- FOR CHICKEN
- 200 grams boneless skinless chicken breasts (trimmed of fat, 2 fillets, sliced to make 4 flat thin fillets)
- 40 grams all-purpose flour (plain, 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 egg whites (from 50 grams eggs)
- 90 grams breadcrumbs (dry,wholemeal 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (shredded)
- 4 ounces sliced ham (4 slices, shave thin)
- 80 grams mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup 35% reduced-fat grated)
- ON THE SIDE
- 2 zucchini (large zucchini, steamed to serve)
- 300 grams green peas (sugar snap, trimmed, steamed to serve)
- 3 carrots (large carrots, sliced, steamed to serve)
What You Will Need
- Olive oil flavored cooking spray
Heat oil in a small saucepan on medium, and add onion and garlic and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until onion has softened.
Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thick.
Meanwhile, prehat oven to 180C (fan forced) and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Place a chicken fillet between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper (or plastic wrap) and using flat side of a mallet (or small frypan/skillet also works well) and pound until 1.5cm thick and place on a a plate, and repeat with remaining fillets.
Put flour on a plate.
Whisk together milk and egg whites in a shallow dish.
Place breadcrumbs on a shallow plate.
Coat chicken in flour, then egg mix and finally breadcrumbs and place on lined tray, repeat with other 3 slices of chicken.
Spray the chicken with cooking spray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked.
Preheat grill/broiler to medium.
Transfer cooked chicken to a shallow ovenproof dish and place a slice of ham on each piece of chicken.
Stir sugar and basil into tomato sauce and spoon over hammed top chicken and top with cheese.
Grill/broil for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts and turns golden brown.
Serve chicken with steamed vegetables (in a steamer would take about 10 minutes for a medium soft texture, about 8 for a al dente taste or 6 for crisp).
- Serving Size: 1 (503.5 g)
- Calories 459.1
- Total Fat - 14 g
- Saturated Fat - 4.6 g
- Cholesterol - 70 mg
- Sodium - 769.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber - 8 g
- Sugars - 15.7 g
- Protein - 34.4 g
- Calcium - 301.5 mg
- Iron - 3.6 mg
- Vitamin C - 34.7 mg
- Thiamin - 0.6 mg