Created by: QueenBea
Recipe #1608 | Created on October 28, 2011
Categories: Fruit, Tomato, Vegetables, Appetizers, Onions, Peppers, Mexican, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Make-Ahead, Quick Meals, Game/Sports Day, Broil, No Eggs, Vegetarian, Make it from scratch (more)
Broiled Tomato Salsa
"One of my favourite salsa recipes. Packed with flavour!! The cook time is the time to broil the tomatoes."
- 10 large tomatoes, halved and seeded, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s RedHot Sauce (cayenne pepper sauce)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Arrange half the tomatoes, cut side down, on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
Broil on top rack until skin starts to bubble.
Cool and drain.
Place all tomatoes, fresh and cooked, along with the parsley and lime juice in a large bowl and process with an immersion blender until desired consistency is achieved.
Stir in garlic, green pepper, jalapeño pepper, onions, cumin, paprika, hot pepper flakes, salt and hot sauce.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
Serve with nachos or baked pita wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 (2984.1 g)
- Calories 1144.2
- Total Fat - 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat - 5 g
- Cholesterol - 0 mg
- Sodium - 4160.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 201.5 g
- Dietary Fiber - 44.2 g
- Sugars - 114.7 g
- Protein - 38.9 g
- Calcium - 648 mg
- Iron - 21.5 mg
- Vitamin C - 671.6 mg
- Thiamin - 1.7 mg