Created by: Kittencal
Created on October 23, 2011
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Main Dish, Soups/Stews, Beef, Stewing Beef, Vegetables, Fall/Autumn, Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Sunday Dinner, Winter, Oven Bake, Oven Roast, Gluten-Free, No Eggs, Non-Dairy, Kosher Meat (more)
Beef Stew Casserole
"You may omit the potatoes and mix in the some cooked pasta at the end of cooking, pass freshly grated parmesan cheese at the table to sprinkle on top"
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (1)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 30mPT30M
Cook Time: 1-1/2hPT1-1/2H
This worked out very well for us and used items I almost always have on hand. I did skip a few of the ingredients such as the browning sauce, bread crumbs, celery and peas but even with those deletions it was a great casserole. I did add 1/2 teaspoon.... Read more
- 1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 cup beef broth (or even better, use 3/4 cup beef broth and 1/4 cup dry red wine)
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce (such as Kitchen Bouquet)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (soft)
- Oil, for browning (or use bacon fat)
- 2 pounds stewing beef
- Seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper (use as much as you like)
- 1 yellow onion (large onion, chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes (4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered)
- 2 carrots, diced (peeled)
- 2 celery ribs (diced into 3/4-inch chunks)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen peas)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (set oven rack to lowest position).
Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Pepare a large baking sheet to fit under the baking dish.
In an extra- large bowl combine the diced tomatoes with juice and the next 4 ingredients (do not add in the bread crumbs yet) allow to stand while browning the beef.
In a skillet heat oil over medium-high heat (use enough oil to coat the bottom of your skillet).
Season the beef with seasoned salt and pepper; add to oil in batches and brown on all sides then add to the tomato mixture.
To the skillet add in onions and cook for 3 minutes.
Add in garlic, chili flakes and marjoram; cook stirring for 1 minute; transfer to the bowl that has the tomato/beef mixture in it.
Mix in the soft bread crumbs until combined.
Transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
Add in the potatoes, carrots and celery.
Place the baking dish onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 1-1/4 hours.
Uncover then stir in the peas; return to oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Serving Size: 1 (570.7 g)
- Calories 695.9
- Total Fat - 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat - 19.2 g
- Cholesterol - 316.2 mg
- Sodium - 303.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber - 8.7 g
- Sugars - 10.5 g
- Protein - 29.1 g
- Calcium - 807.3 mg
- Iron - 10.6 mg
- Vitamin C - 41.9 mg
- Thiamin - 0.4 mg